Flat top safe heavy bullet .45 loads?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, February 25, 2012, 06:02 (4468 days ago)

Cast up some 315 gr .452 bullets last week and wanted to try them in my Ruger flat top. Anyone have a suggested load for something with some thump but safe in the smaller frame.
I've got unique, 2400, lil gun, hs-6, even a little blue dot.

Thanks for any suggestions,
Doug K

Might want to ask RangerBob

by AaronB, Saturday, February 25, 2012, 07:58 (4468 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by AaronB, Saturday, February 25, 2012, 09:14

I remember casting up some Lyman RNFPs at a nominal 300 grains. This was the original Lyman profile for .45-90, the #457191. I swaged them down to .452 and RangerBob and I loaded them up in .45 Colt brass for use in his Blackhawk, specifically for longer ranges. I do not remember the load data, but I do remember that the load was not a full-house one. That bullet turned out to be quite accurate in that application.

I do know that in your place, I would start with Unique. Whenever I'm looking for a good accurate load, Unique just seems to work.

-AaronB

EDIT: I found some online load data for 300-grainers in .45 Colt that you might use for a starting point... several of your powders are represented. You can find the data here.

In your place I think I'd start with 6.0 grains of Unique under your 315-grainer and work up from there. I tend to be conservative (I'm fond of my fingers and I'm not really interested in velocity for its own sake).

Flat top safe heavy bullet .45 loads?

by Steve, Sunday, February 26, 2012, 22:19 (4467 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Brian Pierce wrote a recent article in Handloader magazine with maximum safe loads in the 45 Colt flattop. Best powders were VV N350 and AA#9.

RSS Feed of thread