Paging Boge and Other Pickers. OT

by JLF @, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 12:01 (4472 days ago)

In preparing for my move to music country, I'm engaged in restoring my old chops.

1. I discovered your fingers get old and stiff right along with the rest of you.
2. I had no idea how dumb fingers could get if you don't keep reminding them of what to do.
3. Even old fingers hurt like blazes when you abuse them, maybe even worse than young fingers.

Anyways, my question for the assembled pickers, what is you opinion of Taylor accoustic guitars? Any other recommendations in the $800-$1500 range?

JLF

by jerry b, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 13:47 (4472 days ago) @ JLF

Many will probably disagree, but I don't love Taylors, at least newer ones. I haven't picked up one in a store in quite awhile that I thought worth the cash, and boy howdy, are they getting expensive. How much is the logo on the headstock adding on these days? There are other manufacturers that give more bang for the buck, I think, including Martin and Larrivee, keeping to North America. Pick up a copy of Acoustic Guitar magazine and peruse the ads, maybe?

If I were looking for a thousand-dollar instrument, I'd be spending my time around the used racks. My daughter found a nice 1962 Gibson recently, and being unsophisticated, I dearly love a Yamaha LL500 bought a few years ago from a guy with martinitis. Older Martins and Gibsons abound, along with other nice brands.

But, what do I know, huh? I am neither pro player nor connoisseur, although I play a lot and let the arthritis do it's worse. You asked, so I opinioned for what it's worth....not much really.

Good luck. Like Frank Zappa said, when you pick up a guitar and it says, "Take me home", that's the guitar for you, be it Taylor or whatever.

For what it's worth

by jerry b, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 14:47 (4472 days ago) @ jerry b

I spent yesterday afternoon at a Guitar Center (sale, sale, sale, but nothing floated my boat), and I guess that's why I'm rather wordy....I have to tell someone.

I handled a few Chinese-made Epiphones and Fenders (how about that?), Korean PRS items, etc. I also played with a few Gibsons and USA Fenders. Want to know how the 400-600 Chinese guitars held up against the $1000-$1900 American products as to build, materials, fret work, overall finish, etc.?

There's the problem. It's hard to rationalize buying an $1800.00 Les Paul you have to do fret work on as soon as you get it home, isn't it? I expect to pay more for American products, and I gladly do it sometimes, but I want the quality at a price I can afford. It comes down at times to buying a foreign product or nothing at all: a $400 Chinese Fender Telecaster or the $1300 American? Lots of guys can afford 400 bucks, but 1300+ is getting serious for a student instrument, you know?

The world has changed over the last 50 years, and it is mighty discouraging.:-(

That's why I've only bought one guitar "new" in the last 22

by brionic @, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 15:02 (4472 days ago) @ jerry b

years... the pricing is ridiculous and is based on the astronomical, absurd value of "collector" guitars, most of which have crashed in the last four years.

Sorry, a $1,400 Tele doesn't float my boat when the same guitar can be bolted together from high quality parts for less than half the price.

Used guitars are the way to go, even more so than with guns.

To get back to your question JLF, I would look at the Seagull Artist if you can find a dealer close to you. Friend has one, and I was impressed. Most of their line are lower priced and are great value guitars, but the Artist is definitely a higher end instrument.

I also happen to like Alvarez-Yairi, which is a Japanese-made guitar.

I play a Taylor, but Seagulls are nice guitars, too

by cubrock, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 22:15 (4472 days ago) @ brionic

Friend played one for years. Still like my 810CE better than his Seagull, but he made it sing.

Test Drives

by JLF @, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 15:28 (4472 days ago) @ jerry b

I won't buy anything I can't play first, which pretty much knocks out the Net. I do intend to do some field work in the near future, new and used. I'm just terribly dated as to brands, and know some really good stuff has come along since I was active, and didn't want to be dumb.:) Action is pretty critical to me, since if I can't play the thing, tone doesn't matter much. I still think I'll know it when I feel it, but didn't want to pass up any later stuff worth a look.

JLF

Test Drives

by Murphy @, Tuesday, February 21, 2012, 22:32 (4472 days ago) @ JLF

I've bought exactly one new guitar in recent years, a Fender acoustic made in Japan with onboard electronics. This was within the past 4 years, I've parted with that particular guitar. I've owned a Guild imported under the Madeira name since 1979 and don't see myself ever parting with it. The Maderia's were assembled using Guild made parts, then shipped back to the U.S. for adjustment and distribution. I don't see myself ever parting with it.

I believe Jerry B. nailed it with the Frank Zappa statement, when you handle one and it says 'Take me home'...you've found it. Regardless of whats written on the headstock.

And you're 100% on the action, if it doesn't feel good you won't be playing it much. It takes a while to get those muscles back in shape just hang in there.

Drive em' till one calls out and take it home.

Murphy

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 14:00 (4471 days ago) @ JLF

MARTIN!!

The last acoustic guitar I bought was a 2008 Martin D-18VS, I bought it used off a fellow on the "UMGF - Unofficial Martin Guitar Forum". I drove to Chicago to try it out, pay for and pick up. It's a 12 fret mahogany body guitar with slotted headstock. I love it. It was in the upper end of your price range in used/like new condition.

Here's a link to the buy/sell forum:

http://theunofficialmartinguitarforum.yuku.com/forums/23/Buy-and-Sell#.T0VAxXrKrKc

You can get an excellent condition used Martin D-18 or D-28 in your price range that will hold every penny of it's value if you decide to sell it later. It might be worth your while to post a want to buy ad and see if anything turns up that's close enough to drive and look at. Best advice I can give is to take your time looking for your guitar.

There are plenty of other great USA acoustic guitars but Martin is the standard and you can't go wrong. I'm into bluegrass so Collings and Bourgeois are a couple other good brands that come to mind.

My cousin plays a D-28 and a different cousin plays a Taylor. I cant remember which model of Taylor he has but it also sounds great. Taylor makes nice guitars for sure.

Good luck hunting up that six string.

Been Pluckin

by Bud, Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 18:22 (4471 days ago) @ MDF99

a deep toned Washburn for a decade. Been trying other guitars but the ole Washburn has a tone I like and it keeps getting better. I missed a 6 string Gibson by a few hours not long ago. That was a 1950's model that had a great tone even if it only had 3 strings to tell. Daughter is playing a mexican strat that I put american pickups in...easy to play and sounds great.

Johnson

by JLF @, Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 19:46 (4471 days ago) @ Bud

Years ago, I bought a Johnson Telecaster clone off Ebay for $125. The guy had put Fender pickups on it, and added a 3rd pickup with a rocker switch. It plays as well as any guitar I've ever owned, and I can get all kinds of sounds by flipping the switches.:)

JLF

+1

by MR, Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 18:35 (4471 days ago) @ MDF99

For a little while last night, I considered letting you trade me out of my D-35. I got over it.

+Shhh...

by JLF @, Wednesday, February 22, 2012, 19:49 (4471 days ago) @ MR

Do you have any idea how much trouble two old gun *and* guitar cranks could get themselves into?

JLF

All three of your statements are TRUE...

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, February 23, 2012, 09:24 (4470 days ago) @ JLF

...but it DOES get better!

I like Taylors, and I agree that it's best to buy used. In your price range, you should be able to find a decent Martin, Taylor, Gibson or whatever.

Or, IF you had a friend who has a bunch of nice guitars, and IF you were a guy who has a bunch of nice sixguns, and IF that friend happens to love sixguns, you might can work out something in a trade! I'm just sayin'.

boge@gunblast.com

RSS Feed of thread