Took the day off yesterday...

by pokynojoe, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 09:55 (4475 days ago)

Me and the Mrs. took a little painting excursion yesterday, it was a beautiful day in the Smokey Mountains...

[image]

[image]

The cooler is full of homemade pimento cheese sandwiches and chocolate cookies.

And here's what she was trying to capture on canvass:

[image]

You can't see them in this photograph, but the greenish field just beyond the parked car was full of deer and turkey. The deer are so fearless you can walk right up to them.

That split rail fence and....

by Glen, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 11:35 (4475 days ago) @ pokynojoe

...stone cabin in the background are worth capturing on canvas as well. Beautiful setting!

Glenn, I suppose she is inspired...

by pokynojoe, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 13:10 (4475 days ago) @ Glen

by the VIEW from Mr. Henry's cabin, as opposed to the cabin itself.

A number of years ago she had a commission from the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Indians in which a somewhat exhaustive survey was done of Cherokee cabins in preparation for a portrait of Sequoyah. I suppose after that she kind of wore it out.

It's a funny thing. I've visited this cabin dozens of times, and every time I do, I come away conflicted. I love the Smokies, and spend much of my free time there. I'm grateful I live so close, I can enjoy it any time I want. But when I see this cabin and other places in the park, I'm reminded of the lack of respect for the "hill people's" property rights by the government, back in the twenties and thirties. I can't imagine what it would be like to "see" this view as I awake every morning, and then suddenly have it taken away from me. I'm not sure I'd ever get over it, I know many never did.

Was just down that way last week...

by Brian A, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 14:07 (4475 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Spent a couple nights in Pigeon Forge on my way back north from Florida. Tried to take the Parkway from Cherokee to Gatlinburg but they closed it just before because of snow and ice, so had to go around to I-40. Was rather neat to get back into Cherokee and have to stop for a cow elk walking in the road downtown though.

Cade's Cove?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 16:35 (4475 days ago) @ pokynojoe

We were in Sevierville Thursday evening...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I just found out my first cousin's husband has family roots

by stonewalrus, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 16:38 (4475 days ago) @ pokynojoe

In Cades Cove. As a matter of fact I googled and there is a Gourley Pond there named after his family. I thought that was pretty cool.

the Cable grist mill there was part of our family

by cable @, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 18:25 (4475 days ago) @ stonewalrus

my dad even knew how to run a water powered grist mill, and did so in his youth

Took the day off yesterday...

by Catoosa, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 20:16 (4475 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Isn't that a beautiful place? I've loved that cove most all my life. Keep going back even though I've been there many times.

That is some beautiful country but the tourists have about

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, February 18, 2012, 21:03 (4475 days ago) @ Catoosa

done it in. Well not the tourists but those seeking to make a living off of them. Many nice people around there. We stop there on our way to or from Atmore/Cantonment.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I Love a woman that has a hobby

by Bob Hatfield @, Sunday, February 19, 2012, 05:19 (4474 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Wish mine did. It would make buying presents easier for sure. I always thought by your handle you lived in the Pocono mountains.

Bob

RSS Feed of thread