Anybody here using Danner Explorer boots?

by Otony, Monday, October 08, 2012, 20:46 (4376 days ago)

Looking to buy a good pair of rebuildable hiking boots and have halfway decided on a pair of Explorers by Danner. Local shop has 'em for a good price, but I am curious if anyone here has used that particular boot.

Suggestions welcome of course!

Otony

by bob, Monday, October 08, 2012, 21:01 (4376 days ago) @ Otony

been wearing the self same pair of Danners I bought back around 1987 or so. don't think they are explorers but they are still in great shape and have never required a rebuild. When I was with the gummint we bought Danners for agents doing clandestine drug lab work because the goretex liner helped reduce chemical exposures. fwiw ymmv
bob

As usual, you are a wealth of wisdom......

by Otony, Monday, October 08, 2012, 21:27 (4376 days ago) @ bob

.......think I am gonna spring for a pair. Fellow at the New York Store has great service and prices, plus I like to throw money his way since his legal issues after being forced to kill a burglar who was threatening him.

Otony

I used my Danners hard for about 15 years...finally

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, October 08, 2012, 22:25 (4375 days ago) @ Otony

lost their water proof during a hunt on the muskeg...that sucked. I should have returned em, but found a great pair of Chippewas that are superior.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

As usual, you are a wealth of wisdom......

by bob, Thursday, October 11, 2012, 19:21 (4373 days ago) @ Otony

hellyes then! and mine are still as water tight as the day I bought them in Portland, LONG before I retired.
b

by Jhenry, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 06:33 (4375 days ago) @ Otony

I have used boots from Vasque, Hi Tech, New Balance, and some super expensive pair whose name I have forgotten. I currently use Danner's. Corvallis is the particular style. Great stuff. They are absolutely the best fitting and most comfortable trail and off trail boots I have ever had.

by woody, Tuesday, October 09, 2012, 06:51 (4375 days ago) @ Otony

I have a pair of Danner's I wear hunting and love them. Had them for several years. Not sure of model. So when they offer Danner's to us at work I jumped on it. Well I hate them after a day wearing them my lower back bothers me. Tried them for a month or so never could make them work. Most guys that tried them said the same thing. Must be the model. They are Striker II GMX. Must be the insole or arch etc.

Just got an e-flyer from Midway.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 12:10 (4374 days ago) @ Otony

Free shipping on Danner boots. FWIW.

Just got an e-flyer from Midway.

by Otony, Wednesday, October 10, 2012, 16:07 (4374 days ago) @ Hoot

Thanks Hoot,

I looked 'em over, but the style I was looking for wasn't available.

I found the ones I want at amazon for a terrific price, with free shipping and free returns if necessary. My local guy didn't have my size in stock, so I ordered from amazon.

Otony

by In Florida, Monday, December 17, 2012, 07:19 (4306 days ago) @ Otony

I've got a pair of Danner Explorers. Purchased over the summer from Amazon at a good discount. I went up a full size to get the appropriate fit and now I'm testing different insoles as they come with a kind of cheapish piece of plastic insert. Great boots so far. I use them for hiking and work around the house. Had an old pair of Vasque Sundowners from the 90's.....you know, the good ones before they started making them in China. Those were the best boots I've ever had until I lost them. Hoping the Danners will be just as good and just as comfortable. The good news: The more I wear them, the better they get!

RSS Feed of thread