Best place to get gas checks?

by woody, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 04:59 (4380 days ago)

I have a 311316 mold that takes gas checks but I all out. When I was given the mold it came with 1000 gaschecks. Now I'm all out. I see they are alittle pricey.

Dumb question. Do i need to use them if I'm shooting this bullet at pistol velocity? I searched on cast boolits but really didn't get a straight anwser from the stick post. Alot of variables it lloks like. Alloy,size, etc.

What are you shooting the bullet in ? For pistols, I have

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 07:35 (4380 days ago) @ woody
edited by Cherokee, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 07:43

shot bullets designed for gas checks without such and had fine results at mid and lower velocities, even the 311359 in 30 Carbine pistols. For Carbine rifle and high end loads, I use gas checks. There is someone in the swapping & selling section of CB forum that sells aluminum gas checks, or at least a maker for them.

The only way to know for sure is to try them.

Gas checks have become expensive.

by Dennis @, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 07:55 (4380 days ago) @ woody

Woody, only one real way to find out if you can shoot with out the checks is to try it. Lots of guys do it successfully YMMV. Over on the cast boolits site checks are for sale in DJ's corner he sells the Gator checks I buy from him and use them good checks at the very best price except for the occasional find from some guy who no longer casts and is just unloading his stuff. Dennis

by Bud, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 08:09 (4380 days ago) @ Dennis

What Cherokee & Dennis said....if you load under 1000fps or so, don't need GC's in pistols. I usually get online and order from Graff & Son....but notice the Hornaday checks are much cheaper than the Lyman ones. You could also get a device for making aluminum checks or even P-chec's which is nothing more than a high density polyurthane disk....but these are expensive but will pay for themselves eventually.

by woody, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 08:50 (4380 days ago) @ Bud

Thanks for the info. I plan on shooting some without gas checks but I want to cast some with know hardness so I have an idea what shoots good or not. I currently have about 250 cast that I'm not positive on the hardness but shoot awesome in my 32 h&r and 32-20 with the gas check so I need some for those bullets.

I will. Check out the aluminum on cast bullets.

by Alfred John, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 11:26 (4380 days ago) @ woody

I have one of Paco's Free Check tools for the .30 caliber and it works great, I use either aluminum beverage cans or off set metal printing plates. I have also found in some cases using a flared and sharpened case with primer pocket drilled out,a nail dropped in to eject styrofoam gas checks from either stryofoam coffee cups or meat trays from the food store. They work well and leave no deposit behind in the case or gun. ATB

RSS Feed of thread