Question about Ruger Air Hawk Barrel Cocker

by ESisk @, Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 21:05 (4381 days ago)

What I know about airguns wouldn't fill an empty CB Cap case. A friend asked me to help him sight in his Ruger Air Hawk, it had a Winchester Airgun scope with parrallax adjustment. At 20 yards we were getting 6 inch groups. I thought there might be a problem with the scope so we took it off and at 20 yards and factory sights we were getting 5 inch groups. We were using Beeman high velocity pellets and I did notice that about half the time there was a sonic crack and half not. Any ideas about a solution?

by ESisk, Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 21:07 (4381 days ago) @ ESisk

.177 - try heavier pellets

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 21:00 (4380 days ago) @ ESisk

If you're getting over 950 fps or so then you're pushing the speed of sound - and that does nasty things to the accuracy. Heavier pellets will slow it down a bit. ALSO, pellet guns tend to be very picky as to which pellet they like - or don't like. Drop by http://www.pyramidair.com and pick up 4 tins of various pellets, or more. Try different brands - and make sure you've got a clean barrel. At Pyramid, every fourth tin is free, always the cheapest tin of course.

Question about Ruger Air Hawk Barrel Cocker

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 21:15 (4381 days ago) @ ESisk

This is a spring-air gun (uses a spring to compress the air for each individual shot, i.e. no resevoir). So, it sounds to me as though you might have a problem with the seal(s) leaking air OR the gun has been fired without a pellet which MIGHT have damaged the valve (which meters air into the chamber to push the pellet). I think either would give inconsistent velocities, change the vibration of the firearm and thus give larger groups. Also, it may be that the seals simply require lubrication/oiling which could also cause inconsistent sealing and thus inconsistent air pressure, but I don't have the manual to check that.

Just as with any other projectile shooter, some projectiles work better in the specific system than others.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

If it is brand new it may need broken in

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 21:15 (4381 days ago) @ ESisk

I know on the Chinese copies of the RWS guns they say to run 200 pellets through them before even trying to sight the scope in. I've got one of them, haven't had enough chance to play with it to see.

Yes, the mechanisms work better/more consistently

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 21:18 (4381 days ago) @ stonewalrus

after "breaking in", i.e. wearing the burrs off the moving parts.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

About 35 pellets left in can of250. Was thinking

by ESisk @, Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 21:43 (4381 days ago) @ Hobie

heavier pellet. will look up an internet manual and lube also.

Agree with Stonewalrus....

by Bud, Thursday, October 04, 2012, 09:11 (4380 days ago) @ ESisk

the .177 are persnickity about the barrel condition. Accuracy goes all to hell after just 50 rds or so and has to be cleaned throughly. The 20 and 22 caliber are much more forgiving. Get the correct oiler for your gun...most need a real long fine needle to get down into the chamber, plus use a high grade oil or buy pellet oil. That's the good news...the bad news is, stay away from barrel cockers. They will be fine for a few 1000 rds but will get sloppy after awhile. I'd stay with the side or under lever cockers or just one that the barrel is fixed. There has been a recent technology jump in air rifles. These generation of pellet pushers are near silent, powerful and accurate to a T. I can post that information ifn yer interested.

I bought a side cocker after reading up

by stonewalrus, Friday, October 05, 2012, 07:23 (4379 days ago) @ Bud

I do wish they were easier to load though and haven't found anybody who. Makes a loader.

RSS Feed of thread