Ruger M-77 "hang fire" mystery solved.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 21:37 (4384 days ago)

I posted a week ago about a Ruger M-77 in which the firing pin would not drop at the pull of the trigger when the bolt was held down; firing instead with the slightest lift of the bolt.

I putzed with this thing off and on since then trying different things to isolate the problem. Stripped the bolt down as far as possible and cleaned; no change. Swapped a bolt out of another M-77; no conclusive results. Removed the action from the stock and found out a previous owner had installed a Timney trigger. Fiddled around with relieving the stock around the safety bar; no change. Cut the stock opening for the trigger body a bit more; still no change.

The first real break was when I tried backing off the screws for the trigger guard. Backing off the front screw (middle of the three) about 3/4 turn and the firing function returned to normal. The on-line copy of the installation instructions talks of 'relieving the top of the trigger guard' and, sure as Hell, it looked like the guard was jammed up tight to the trigger body. Ten minutes with a hand file provides a "skosh" (an old Norwegian percision measurement) of clearance and proper function to boot.

"Well, huh.", says I.

by Dennis @, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 23:11 (4384 days ago) @ Hoot

Well good job Hoot, and yep I bet most all of us know 'xactly how much a skosh is. Dennis

Skosh must be old German and French as well...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, October 01, 2012, 07:31 (4383 days ago) @ Hoot

Glad you got it fixed!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Had to go look...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, October 01, 2012, 11:49 (4383 days ago) @ Hobie

Skosh is derived from the Japanese 'sukoshi' meaning 1: small quantity; little; few; something; 2: little while; 3: short distance.

And here I thought it was just slang.

I know that, I was just joshing with you.... it is one of

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, October 01, 2012, 17:10 (4383 days ago) @ Hoot

the first of several terms learned after arriving in Korea. Yes, at least back in the '70s, Koreans still used Japean to communicate with US GIs. There is a whole bunch of words one learns that can't be shared here... ;-)

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Yeah, soon as I saw it was Japanese, a good bet was you knew

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, October 01, 2012, 17:15 (4383 days ago) @ Hobie

I was surprised as all these years I thought it was one of those made-up words.

Funny that I knew what "sukoshi" meant as well as...

by cas, Tuesday, October 02, 2012, 22:08 (4382 days ago) @ Hoot

…a "skosh" , but it never entered my mind that one had anything to do with the other.

I'd assumed skosh was bastardized yiddish or something. lol

Excellent Job!!

by Brian A, Monday, October 01, 2012, 09:18 (4383 days ago) @ Hoot

Always a good feeling to figure out such problems and fix them.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, October 01, 2012, 18:54 (4383 days ago) @ Hoot

oofta!!!!!!!!!!

RSS Feed of thread