Primer "detonation" in a Dillon primer tube?

by Mark @, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 08:05 (4384 days ago)

Did anyone else read this over at the Cast Boolits website: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=166612 ? This fellow says that there is no obvious cause. Another person writes that it has happened to him a few times. I have never had anything close to this happen when I use my Dillon 550. I am thinking there is more to the story but I bring this up here because I want to know if anyone here has a similar story.
Mark

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 10:10 (4384 days ago) @ Mark

I have been loading on my RL550B since 1994 with nary an issue. I am not sure I can see how this could happen short of a primer getting stuck inside a tube and used something metallic to try and force it out.

by Alfred John, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 10:15 (4384 days ago) @ Dave B

I have heard of it and seen an article some years back on it. If you do a high volumn of reloading it is probably possible. Primer "dust" can build up a bit and it wouldn't take much to set it off. I used to reload a lot of .38 specials and because of this worry I would clean the primer tubes before and during the reloading. Of course I would load several thousand at a time using multiple tubes. I do believe it is possible. Just my thoughts.

Primer dust

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Sunday, September 30, 2012, 11:54 (4384 days ago) @ Mark

you got to keep your reloader clean of the build up of primer dust, that`s what I think:beatdeadhorse:

Primer dust

by Dennis @, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 15:39 (4384 days ago) @ Fivegunner

Just wondering is there something or some reason why you never see or hear of this happening in other progressives such as the Hornady LNL. I would think that if it is a primer dust problem there must be extenuating circumstances as to why it only happens in the Dillon. And until further investigation reveals a concrete reason all the more reason to spend less money and get the Hornady. But then you may have guessed I already own the Hornady ;>). Dennis

I have 4 dillon machines have loaded thousands of rounds

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 15:43 (4384 days ago) @ Dennis

pay attention to the forums and have never heard of this??? I suspect someone f'd up and uses a sharp tool on a soft primer.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

How long's the L&L been on the market?

by cas, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 15:45 (4384 days ago) @ Dennis

I'm 43 and I've had my first 550 since I was a sophomore in High School. That would lead me to believe there's a lot more Dillion's out there, so odds are in their favor to hear more about them.

Usually it's the 650 you hear about. The way the primer system in that one is if you crush one while seating it, it and start a chain reaction and blow out the the whole tube. I've seen a few pictures of 650's that have shot the primer rod up into the overhead. That's why I don't use Federal primers in mine.

I have four 550s and one 1050. In total, far over 100K

by John K., Sunday, September 30, 2012, 16:04 (4384 days ago) @ Mark

rounds through them without a detonation.

However, ANY bulk accumulation of primers is subject to detonate with sufficient jarring or force. That's why the primer manufacturers package them in the fancy cartons.

I've seen pics on the internet of sheetrock ceilings shredded by a tube detonation.

Dirty, maladjusted equipment and operators poking at stuck primers are the usual suspects. Dust from priming compound is usually blamed as that sounds a lot cooler than admiting to simpler explanations.

Having watched mechanically inept reloaders on the internet buying go-fast progressives, I'm now convinced most should have to take a test before being allowed to buy one.

Tim Sundles uses 1050s, right? Has he ever had such?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 16:30 (4384 days ago) @ Mark

You could ask him...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

What do federal primers have to do with it? I saw that

by Mark, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 17:16 (4384 days ago) @ cas

in a post there as well. How are they different?
Mark

What do federal primers have to do with it? I saw that

by John K., They have a well deserved reputation as, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 17:22 (4384 days ago) @ Mark

being easier to ignite.

Lots of custom gunsmiths used to back off of the springs a lot to give a nice trigger pull and then specify Federal primers. Real Cute.

That's the revolver race gun secret...

by cas, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 19:42 (4384 days ago) @ John K.

…really deep seated Federal primers and super light double actions. Personally I can't be bothered.

Yes sir.. Federals seem to have the softest cups and are the most sensitive. (CCI would be on the other end of the scale, though the Wolfs could be worse)

I have four 550s and one 1050. In total, far over 100K

by Alfred John, Monday, October 01, 2012, 09:04 (4383 days ago) @ John K.

Amen on taking care of the equipment. I have used mainly a single stage press and enjoy doing so. On a progressive when I use it, I will stop about every thousand rounds, take a break, clean everything in and on it. Look it over and make sure everything is within spec. This prevents a lot of problems from cropping up. Todays progressives properly served should not wear out. A lot of beginners get spoiled and want to rush on this stuff. It doesn't pay. Just my take. Good Luck......

by LAH @, Tuesday, October 02, 2012, 13:47 (4382 days ago) @ Mark

I've set a few off but never in one of my Dillons.:-)

RSS Feed of thread