More thoughts on what I will call MBR

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, September 28, 2012, 00:18 (4386 days ago)

So I have been pouring over the info below, and info from some of my comrades in arms. So for my main battle rifle(MBR) I have picked up a DPMS and a RIA, the RIA was a 1 in 8 heavy barrel and match trigger. I hate to say it, but I also keep straying back to the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle, I know it really isn't a practical choice for my intended purpose being a .308 and being a bolt action, the frugal half (ok, like really A sliver) me says I can attain more ammo for less money, reloading components are cheaper, et al, in the .223, the .308 is just more expensive across the board, but darn it , it is a 30 caliber. I will ramble no more.

Dave

I have a Garand, 2 No. 4 .303 Brits AND an AR with 1-9 twist

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, September 28, 2012, 07:13 (4386 days ago) @ Dave B

In that and the ammo regard I am ready but I am relatively isolated. I.e., my buddies don't live next door. That is bad. However my neighbors look relatively good and are between me and most everything else. Like offering a chew toy to the dog so she won't get your slippers. Worse though, my house is in range of an AT-4 from the armory. That was nice when I was stationed there.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

This looks like a good compromise

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, September 28, 2012, 07:44 (4386 days ago) @ Hobie

MBR

by John Meeker, Friday, September 28, 2012, 07:52 (4386 days ago) @ Dave B

Many of same thoughts crossed my mind as we 'retired', and I tried to reduce the 'lug around' factor. Hobie's .303's will do everything a Gunsite rifle will do, and used to be dirt cheap, as was Greek or South African good ammo. There is no faster true bolt action or more quickly reload-able. [JMHO]

However, those days are pretty much past. A modern semi-auto like the better AR's is beautiful only in function, but it sure shines there. Once you take the time to become educated in parts, maintenance, and all the rest that any good battle rifle requires, then the function sorta spiffs up one's admiration of the form.

An M-4forgery and a...ahem..'target' version cover a lot of ground, near and far. Not to lecture, which I can be prone to do.....but there are lots and lots of folks here who can dispense sensible advice here. I posted this only because I really really had NO use at all for AR's...or it's competitors. Only when I had to review the bedrock nitty-gritty of basics for the future, did I most reluctantly accept their top'o the heap, for the future usefulness.

And ya know what? I like them. I have the 'golf ball at 130 yards' heavy [relatively speaking] gun, and now am planning on the 'door-kicker/door defender' -- very simple light quick version. Also, the prices on reliable handy versions continues to drop, as was pointed out in earlier posts. By all means, indulge y'r own wishes. F'r instance, I happen to believe that an ugly well-made AK with a pile of mags and ammo could be a pretty good thing, too -- if I had gotten into it about five years ago. ;~`) However, I do know where an unfired good SKS and a crate of ammo is sitting unused by the purchaser, who may wish to sell it back. ;~`)

Think absolute basic: then the 'hobbiest' can indulge in treats at a later date. ;~`)

MBR

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, September 28, 2012, 08:20 (4386 days ago) @ John Meeker

Good advice, I had already decided on the M4 variant when the article on the Ruger popped up. This is going to be a SHTF rifle, so ammo availability and cost was a big factor, plus how far I can stretch my reloading supplies per round.

I keep ONE target HBAR, and ONE that has everything on it...

by Boge Quinn, Friday, September 28, 2012, 09:53 (4386 days ago) @ John Meeker

...that Nancy Pelosi hates, including a SlideFire. That'll show her!

I can't say an AR stirs my soul like a sweet levergun or sixgun. They just serve their purposes, and serve them well.

More thoughts on what I will call MBR

by Byron, Friday, September 28, 2012, 10:04 (4386 days ago) @ Dave B

[image]

Byron

5.56mm and bolt guns are not MBRs....

by Byron, Friday, September 28, 2012, 10:07 (4386 days ago) @ Dave B

This is MBR....

[image]

Byron

Depends on the battle.

by BCodd, Friday, September 28, 2012, 10:38 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

nfm

very well put!

by cable, Friday, September 28, 2012, 11:07 (4386 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

:-)

Ruger Gunsite Discussion

by DeeBee @, Friday, September 28, 2012, 14:41 (4386 days ago) @ Dave B

Interesting

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Friday, September 28, 2012, 16:21 (4386 days ago) @ DeeBee

The .308 Win seems like it is a versatile round provided one has the proper twist rate in the barrel. I think the AR platform still makes better sense, but who knows, my future may hold a place for a .308 in a bolt action rifle.

The boy wants a semi-auto version, Springfield Armory makes

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, September 28, 2012, 19:22 (4386 days ago) @ DeeBee

one AND it uses M14 mags (cause it is one).

The Leupold is THE scout scope IMO. BUT, for my eyes (mandatory disclaimer) it must be mounted just so. We have a customer who has one mounted just so on his Mini-14 (a 581 series) and it is just right. Throw it up and the sight picture is perfect... for me.

I like big, long heavy for caliber, penetrating bullets as folks tend to get behind things when the shooting starts. I will be messing about more with the 77 gr. Sierra MK in my AR.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Think real hard about changing your bullet

by Miles Fortis ⌂ @, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, September 28, 2012, 19:28 (4386 days ago) @ Hobie

Try the Barnes 70gr TSX. Almost identical flight ballistics as the SMK but much better terminal ballistics.

get one or two of each

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 28, 2012, 21:21 (4386 days ago) @ Dave B

seriously; better than money in the bank.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Enjoyed the review, but

by Catoosa, Saturday, September 29, 2012, 22:52 (4384 days ago) @ Dave B

to look at it from a slightly different perspective - that of a retired old fart on fixed income and not a lot of it for fancy stuff I may never really NEED.

A few years ago I bought a Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in .308. Under $400 at that time. I put the best scope I could afford on it - a Leupold VariX II 3-9, that cost nearly as much as the rifle. The rifle is black, but it is in no way "tactical". I doubt I could fight a war with it without breaking it, but it would likely last as long as I would. It is lightweight, easy to carry and handle, quick to the shot, and can be worked about as fast as possible for a boltgun. Oh yeah, it is ACCURATE.

Most significant drawback is the 4-round blind magazine - not much in the way of firepower there. I think there are conversion kits that would enable the basic M700 to be fitted with a detachable magazine, but I have not bothered to hunt one up.

The point is, it would seem that with a little imagination the M700 could form the basis for an inexpensive but fairly effective "scout" rifle.

Just cogitatin'.......

If somebody would make a reliable 10 shot mag for a Remingto

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 30, 2012, 12:34 (4384 days ago) @ Catoosa

7600 I wouldn't figure a 10 shot pump 30-06 would do bad either.

I'm betting that if there every was such a situation that

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, October 01, 2012, 07:33 (4383 days ago) @ Dave B

1 - you could use what you have to get what you want
or
2 - you'll be too late with such a decision and forever, one way or another, unable to do anything for yourself or your family.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

If somebody would make a reliable 10 shot mag for a Remingto

by Alfred John, Monday, October 01, 2012, 09:14 (4383 days ago) @ stonewalrus

How about one of those Kel-Tec RFB, bull pups in 7.62 NATO, look cool, probably quite pricey if you can find one. I think they did a write up on Jeff
Quinn's site a while back. Never handled a Bull Pup, wonder how difficult it is to change magazines?

RSS Feed of thread