Follow-up on 12 bore double express rifle..........

by Byron, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 17:14 (4389 days ago)

My muzzle loading deer rifle is this Divide Petersoli 12 boreexpress double.

While I have heard that the regulation of these double is sp otty, my throws both barrels together at 100 yards when loaded with 125 grs of Pyro...
Best group is for 6 shots into 5 to 6 inches at 100...this is as good as I can shoot this thing...

I do not consider myself to be recoil sensitive but this is about all I care for...it is about shooting a light 12 gauge shotgun loaded with heavy 3" mag loads off a bench....once I shot it "casually" off hand and almost bit my tongue off and broke my nose with my thumb....

One real issue that I have is that it is impossible to spot your shot on game and simply have to wait for a REALLY big cloud of white smoke...

Anyway it is double cool to play will and will kill deer for sure...

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

Byron

PS..

by Byron, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 17:19 (4389 days ago) @ Byron

It came with traditional multileaf flip up sights zeroed at different ranges but I had trouble seeing them.

Petersoli had modern fiber optic sights on hand that switched right out with no mods...

Mo' better!

Byron

by cubrock, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 17:48 (4389 days ago) @ Byron

Local shop has a Pedersoli Kodiak .54 double gun that I sure like. Very nice walnut and tasteful engraving on the lock and elsewhere. They solve barrel regulation by having two adjustable flip up sights. The thumb of the off hand can easily knock one down and flip the other one up when a second shot is needed. He wants $650, which is reasonable for one of these, but more than I want to spend on a gun I'll use one week a year. Also, I'd prefer having a .50, as I already have plenty of components. Still, having that second shot could come in handy.

Your gun is very nice. I've not seen a 12 bore around here. .50 is quite enough for any game we encounter.

Where is this gun?

by Byron, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 17:52 (4389 days ago) @ cubrock

Want to know.

Byron

Where is this gun?

by cubrock, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 17:58 (4389 days ago) @ Byron

Ledford's Trading Post in Hickory, NC, but he won't ship guns.

If I may....

by Byron, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 18:05 (4389 days ago) @ cubrock

It's not a "gun".

I would like to know more. Does it look like mine...are the rear sights in line or is one on each barrel...does it have a pistol grip...etc

Byron

If I may....

by cubrock, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 18:15 (4389 days ago) @ Byron

Doesn't matter if it is a gun or a bayonet, Ledford won't ship. Hasn't for years after he had trouble with people returning guns and having stolen/swapped parts. Doesn't mean someone else might not as a favor, though. :)

The two rear sights are in line with one another in the rib between the barrels. He told me it was to sight each barrel in, but looking at other sites, the gun is regulated at 75 yards and the leaf sights are for different ranges. Don't know which is correct. My recollection is it has a straight grip.

Here are some links with pics of Kodiaks:

http://www.davide-pedersoli.com/scheda-prodotto.asp/l_en/idpr_136/rifles-kodiak-express...

This one has had a scope added:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=307060038

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=294331773

I love .54s... but doubles aren't "legal" here except

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 18:14 (4389 days ago) @ cubrock
edited by Hobie, Thursday, September 27, 2012, 07:44

during regular gun season!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by John Meeker, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 17:50 (4389 days ago) @ Byron

Byron, has one of the straight-hand percussion doubles from Pedersoli. I used tightly patched round ball over a cardboard/felt wad stack, on top of FFG. Not saying how much, but you knew when it went off, allright. Similar recoil to yours. It would shoot snakeyes at 25yard POI, and a fourinch spread at sixty yards. Used as tree stand gun in a thick covert. Never got the clear shot I wanted that season, from that stand. But in impromptu tests on 'whatchagot to damage' on the burn pile, I wouldn't have been surprised at a thru on the rib cage.

Good luck with your 'hammer'.

by woody, Tuesday, September 25, 2012, 18:12 (4389 days ago) @ Byron

What are you shooting for a bullet?

.715 lead ball.......

by Byron, Thursday, September 27, 2012, 18:17 (4387 days ago) @ woody

Bang.........

by cubrock, Thursday, September 27, 2012, 22:18 (4386 days ago) @ Byron

Byron,

If you want the .54 at Ledford's, I'll get it and ship it to you. My last post may not have been clear on that. Off memory, it was $650 plus 7% sales tax (plus whatever shipping would be). Just let me know.

steve@groundwaterresourcespllc.com

RSS Feed of thread