Dick's Sporting Goods

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Friday, September 21, 2012, 19:35 (4393 days ago)

A good friend of mine unfortunatly lives in Monroe, N.Y. He has a CCW issued from the county he lives in. He went to Dick's to purchase a brick of 22 L.R. that was on sale. At the check out they asked him if it was for a rifle or handgun and he ansewered for both. They said he had to show a handgun license in order to buy the ammo. He showed them his CCW and paid for the ammo. Now, I know this is silly since he could have said that the ammo was just for a rifle but I think we should not be spending at such a store. Before the Galayans Sporting Goods was bought out by Dick's they had a nice selection of handguns for sale here in Colorado. I went in after Dick's took over and the handguns were gone. I asked what happened and was told that the head man thought only police and military should be able to own handguns. Never purchased another thing from them after that.

Art

isn't it a matter of state law?

by bj @, Friday, September 21, 2012, 20:16 (4393 days ago) @ Art

We've had various laws regarding handgun ammo vs. rifle ammo and unfortunately manufacturers keep chambering handguns in more and more rifle calibers.

Dick's Sporting Goods

by woody, Friday, September 21, 2012, 20:45 (4393 days ago) @ Art

Walmart does the same thing. Has nothing to do with N.Y. Just there store policy. No other place I have been to including Bass Pro does that in N.Y. Is he in Monroe in Orange Co. or Monroe County?

J& G sales demands to copy done all DL info to purchase

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 00:35 (4392 days ago) @ Art

ammo from their store...no way, not me.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Dick's Sporting Goods

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 06:41 (4392 days ago) @ woody

Orange County. Took over a year to get his CCW which covers his mandatory handgun license. Plus alot of $ to boot. Had to take a day off of work to sit in a court room waiting for the Judge to give him a look over and ask a few questions before granting his CCW.

Dick's Sporting Goods

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 06:45 (4392 days ago) @ woody

I know it is not New York. Walmart asks the same thing in Colorado but just to make sure they are not selling handgun ammo to some one under 21, the legal age to own a handgun. My problem is the corporate policy that we should not put up with.

J& G sales demands to copy done all DL info to purchase

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 06:48 (4392 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thats what I am talking about. Actualy nothing considering their handgun stance. Question for you Rob. I understand that Walmart sells handguns in Alaska. Is that true?

Dick's Sporting Goods

by woody, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 08:13 (4392 days ago) @ Art

Each county in NY varies on procedure. My county about $120 and 20 days later you have your permit. NY actually has a good system and have had CC permits for ever. At least. Ack to the 60's when my dad got his permit. Now NYC a totally differ t story. I wish we could cut if off and send it to sea!!! The rest on NY is awesome!!! I have been in orange county when I worked in the Hudson valley. Nice area.

Art...I live in Colorado too

by Bud, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 12:26 (4392 days ago) @ Art

and do not shop at Dicks or Walmart. Never did shop at Walmart due to everything from China. Last time at Dick's I just said it was for a rifle...and never set foot in their stores ever again.

Walmart, Fred Meyers, I think even Sports Authority sells

by AkRay, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 15:41 (4392 days ago) @ Art

handguns in their Fairbanks stores. JC Penneys and K Mart, when we had them, sold handguns too. They also sell EBRs, and we still don't have blood running in our streets.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 16:35 (4392 days ago) @ AkRay

Back in the 80's the Montgomery Wards store at our mall sold S&W Model 27. Of course back then I did not have the funds for that extravagance:-(

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 16:36 (4392 days ago) @ AkRay

Also, in 1975 I purchased a Rem Model 30-06 ADL at K-Mart for $150.00. Still have it:-)

Dick's Sporting Goods

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 17:02 (4392 days ago) @ woody

Woody,
I spent the first 20 years of my life in the Hudson River Valley. Born and raised in Nyack N.Y. Very plesant back in the 1950's and early 1960's. Left for the service in 1965 and only visted afterwards. I loved to fish and crab the Hudson. In November the Tommy Cods (not sure if that was a local term) would run and caught alot. I think now that area is too influenced by the city. I do not hunt anymore except for varmints but if I lived in the hardwood forests of the Northeast I definatly would still be hunting Ruffed Grouse. Nothing like a cool fall day in the beauty of those trees hunting those grouse.

Where do you live in New York?

Art

Dick's Sporting Goods

by woody, Saturday, September 22, 2012, 17:30 (4392 days ago) @ Art

Newark between Rochester and Syracuse. I do quite a bit of grouse hunting every fall. Even more during the winter. That is my favorite time to hunt grouse, just after a fresh snow.

I would have loved to live in upstate NY but the taxes and

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 23, 2012, 18:33 (4391 days ago) @ Art

gun laws keep me out.

Dad was born and raised near Cooperstown and the family is from Blenheim in Schoharie County. My other grandparents had a place on Lake George. That is beautiful country.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I would have loved to live in upstate NY but the taxes and

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Sunday, September 23, 2012, 19:08 (4391 days ago) @ Hobie

Been to Cooperstown and Lake George both. You are correct on both counts. Beautiful but a hard place to live with taxes and the needless regulations. My friend in Monroe pays $12,000 a year in property taxes. Mine here in Colorado are $1,700. I think there are more deer now then back in the 60's.

yes walmart sells handguns in the lower 48s too but they h

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, September 23, 2012, 20:00 (4391 days ago) @ Art

have to be ordered. After watching the way walmart's staff routinely handles their guns I would not tough one with a 10 foot pole. EVERY night they locks them up to check them they all do the Hollywood flip with every single DA revolver:-( ...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

isn't it a matter of state law?

by CJM @, Sunday, September 23, 2012, 20:30 (4391 days ago) @ bj

No, Walmart started doing that here in Colorado but so far we have avoided having it become law.

RSS Feed of thread