Why?

by Drago, Monday, September 17, 2012, 16:00 (4397 days ago)

Why is it the the "easy" projects give you the most trouble? I got a pre-64 94 Winchester a few years ago. I managed to locate a steel Lyman receiver sight and installed it. The factory rear sight blocks the new sight picture. Knock the factory sight out of its dovetail and replace with a slot-blank, and the problem is solved. Easy, right? Nope. That rear sight will not move. Am I the only one these things happen to? Guess I'll have to make a trip to a gunsmith before I ruin something.

Why?

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, September 17, 2012, 16:21 (4397 days ago) @ Drago

I'm sure you dont need to be reminded, but it is designed to be removed from left to right looking down the barrel. I would "Rap" it on the top of the sight over the dovetail with a flat solid brass punch to jar things loose and then knock it out. You may find your front sight too short for the Lyman also. Heck of a surprise when you go to the range and it shoots a foot high at a hundred yards and the rear Lyman is all the way down. Seems to happen even if the peep lines up with the bead and the notch in the rear sight before it is removed. Dont make sense but it happens

Bob

Thank you Bob.

by Drago, Monday, September 17, 2012, 17:25 (4397 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

The raps on the sight to loosen things up worked. I was beginning to think some previous owner had be an adherant of Loc-Tite or epoxy.

RSS Feed of thread