Any 500 S&W shooters?

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, September 16, 2012, 18:11 (4398 days ago)

I've had the 4 incher on my watch list for a while now, but haven't run across one at a decent price. But I did run across a 6 1/2 incher the other day, at a great price.

So naturally I put it on layaway. But I have no intention of shooting full power factory loads in it. I want a .50 cal handgun, but not a bone crusher that's going to give me a flinch.

So I'm planning to shoot 350-400 grain cast bullets at 1000-1200 fps. Ought to be fun and plenty to whack a wild hog or some other Texas "exotic".

Bro' Dan has both the revolver and HandiRifle

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, September 16, 2012, 20:38 (4398 days ago) @ Warhawk

For a incapacitating case of the giggles, load up a case full of black powder...

I've got a 4 inch

by MR, Monday, September 17, 2012, 09:30 (4397 days ago) @ Warhawk

it's fun with Corbon 500 specials. But still seems to me like about like a very heavy 44 mag. Full 500's are something that you like to shoot about 5 of then put it up. Although at CSA in 2010 Tony racked off 5 full house 500's out of mine in under 3 seconds. A full 500 will kill an old portable television. My nephew proved that one bright sunny day at the ranch trash pile.

[image]

I'm going to try to get into see Lindy

by MR, Monday, September 17, 2012, 09:42 (4397 days ago) @ MR

at How The West Was Cut late this week or early next week, if you want to handle the 4 inch for a few minutes.

I've got a 4 inch

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, September 17, 2012, 13:57 (4397 days ago) @ MR

I have wanted a .50 cal handgun for years, but have no desire to shoot full bore loads through this one. I think I'm going to order some bullets from http://www.mattsbullets.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66 and load 'em up to 1000 to 1200 fps. I am hoping to find some folks that handload such loads, to see if they have any favorite loads, or have any problems with small powder volumes in those huge cases.

I fired one... one time.

by AaronB, Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 10:59 (4396 days ago) @ Warhawk

I put one cylinder full through a friend's .500 Smith, and promptly handed it back to him. Even with a soft rubber grip, touching it off was like getting hit in the palm of the hand with a ball bat.

That's the thing about shooting for fun... it has to be fun.

-AaronB

Yep a friend I've been shooting with for 45 years....

by MR, Wednesday, September 19, 2012, 09:58 (4395 days ago) @ AaronB

and one of the most experienced pistol shots and most experienced pistol hunter's I know, shot it one time, and lost all interest in it.

RSS Feed of thread