Ride your bike 1/2 mile as fast as you can arrive at the

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 14, 2012, 23:16 (4400 days ago)

clinic watch as a madman with an AK shoots fleeing innocents take a knee with your issue M9 engage rifle armed target as he swings on you kill him with 4 well placed shots at over 75 yards...your name Andrew Brown Air Force SP first 5 minutes of duty after leave. http://www.fairchildhospitalshooting.com/

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Andrew Brown did a hell of a job

by Jhenry, Saturday, September 15, 2012, 10:00 (4399 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

The USAF failed miserably in allowing the shooter to remain in the service instead of just booting him when things became obvious. Heck, he could have been prosecuted for some of the stuff they essentially ignored.

When things went real south and the nut job (I won't say his name) went off, Andrew Brown responded brilliantly and stopped the insane rampage right on the spot and right now. I wonder if Brown was a member of EST? The Security Police Academy always stressed marksmanship and tactical fire, but EST takes it quite a bit farther. We burned ammo by the shovelful. Great shooting under fire by any measure.

At any rate it is a story worth remembering for what went wrong and what went right. Lots to learn, or relearn as the case may be. Brown has my respect.

The man knew his weapon...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, September 15, 2012, 12:52 (4399 days ago) @ Jhenry

he rose to the occasion and he kept his cool under fire. Good men like Brown have kept the wolves thinned out since that little difficulty on the Old North Bridge. Salute.

[image]

The OTHEr tragady at Fairchild, was caused by the same

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, September 15, 2012, 14:46 (4399 days ago) @ Jhenry

sort of attitude: They had a known reckless, rouge pilot. The Wing commander considered his flying to be so out of hand, that he, himself, insisted in being this reckless pilot's Co pilot. close examination of the film footage & wreckage show the co-pilot was attempting to punch out as the B-52 impacted the runway during Fairchild's big annual Airshow...

--

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, September 15, 2012, 18:17 (4399 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Listened to his firsthand report on Madaad Ayoobs podcast. He was a student at LFI or MAG whatever it was called at the time and told his story after the class was over. Main thing I remeber is how ostracized he was after the shooting. Real shame; he should have. Een lauded as a hero instead of how he was treated.

I am not suprised he had recieved more than US Mil training

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, September 15, 2012, 19:38 (4399 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Very surprised and then again not to hear that he was treated unfairly. Saw it with an MP that had also killed in the line of duty...he had been treated very well at THAt post, but when he came over to our unit the overhead types treated him poorly...most of us that worked with him thought he was great.

--

by AkRay, Sunday, September 16, 2012, 00:00 (4399 days ago) @ Slow Hand

The mistreatment he received from others was probably the source of the PTSD that he suffered.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, September 16, 2012, 07:34 (4398 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Here is Mas' blog entry where he talks a bit about Brown and has a link to the podcast if you want to listen.

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, September 16, 2012, 15:17 (4398 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by RidinLou, Sunday, September 16, 2012, 15:44

Something worth hearing/reading

http://www.fairchildhospitalshooting.com/page3.php

To bad the congressman's name is not listed.
Though it was likely congressional staffer that did it, that red ( I guess they are red in the USAF too) "congressional" folder kept a psychopath in a position he should not have been in.

Seems like a Navy pilot that augered into a midsized city's neighborhood was also a "known risk".

Wait what about a wacko on a Texas base . . . Oh no I forgot that was "just" workplace violence.

Innocents died in all cases though.

Hey RidinLou

by Catoosa, Monday, September 17, 2012, 11:14 (4397 days ago) @ RidinLou

Was the "Navy pilot" incident you referred to the one in Nashville, TN a few years ago?

I lived there at the time and recall it well.

Hey RidinLou

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 03:20 (4396 days ago) @ Catoosa

Catoosa
I wasn't gonna mention the city.

A co-worker watched him go up and then fall out of the sky. 100% cloudy day as I remember it.

A shooting friend was delivering packages in the neighborhood and said he was close to the impact area.
When I asked how close, he said" I could feel the heat from the fire on my back as I ran." Bet that was a story around the square brown truck corral that that day.

I always meant to ask how long it was before they let them recover his truck.

Hey RidinLou

by Catoosa, Tuesday, September 18, 2012, 22:44 (4396 days ago) @ RidinLou

Remember that well. Very tragic and totally unnecessary. You just couldn't do stuff like that with an A model Tomcat. The engines wouldn't take it, and the guy should have known that.

Good to see you on here.

RSS Feed of thread