Jelly Bryce's favorite duty gun?

by AkRay, Wednesday, September 05, 2012, 18:39 (4409 days ago)

"Jelly’s Guns
Bryce was involved in gun fights armed with everything from a Thompson sub machine-gun to a .38 caliber revolver and was a master with all. His personal favorite was a Smith and Wesson .44 caliber revolver. It sported a pearl handled grip, embossed with a black cat and the number 13, which proved unlucky for criminals. Bryce, however, affectionately called the pistol “Lucky”"

I remember reading where Delph Bryce's side arm was a Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum, not a 44 Special. Do any of you know what he carried?

by Mike Barranti @, Wednesday, September 05, 2012, 20:03 (4409 days ago) @ AkRay

He started with his S&W 44 special, but later switched to a Registered Magnum from what I have read. The cover photo he did for Life Magazine shows him drawing his RM...

by Jhenry, Thursday, September 06, 2012, 06:28 (4408 days ago) @ Mike Barranti

A Registered Magnum with a 3 1/2" barrel I do believe.

Thanks for the answers, Mike and Jhenry

by AkRay, Thursday, September 06, 2012, 18:39 (4408 days ago) @ AkRay

I've seen his name spelled Delph and Delf, and the first article I found about him was in one of the Handgun Annuals. I remembered reading about his .357, but don't remember hearing about a 44 Special. I think it's interesting that he had a revolver that he called "Lucky", since Frank Hamer had one that was "Old Lucky." I'm sure Mr. Bryce had a lot of natural ability in gun handling, but all the practice time he put in couldn't have hurt either.

by BobM, Ohio, Thursday, September 06, 2012, 19:19 (4408 days ago) @ AkRay

A couple years ago there was a good bio available called "Legendary Lawman" about Bryce. Might still be in print for those interested.

I read this article about Mr. Bryce yesterday

by AkRay, Thursday, September 06, 2012, 19:27 (4408 days ago) @ AkRay

I read the book y Mr. Rowen

by Jim Raymond @, New Jersey, Sunday, March 09, 2014, 22:25 (3859 days ago) @ AkRay

I just read Rowans book about the life of "Jelly Bryce" Frankly, I'm at a loss to say that I've been around a long time and have never heard of Mr. Bryce, I've read about Ed Macgivern, Charles Askins, Bill Jordan, Bob Miculik, Thell Reed but never this guy why have the pundits at all the gun magazines have not written about him if he was indeed such a wizard with a sixgun. Frankly some of the stuff in the book leaves a lot to the imagination, one photo shows some coins struck five times as they were thrown in the air, really, even Bob Munden said once a coin is hit by a bullet it flies out of sight, so hitting one five times has to be impossible. Frankly I think it is greatly exaggerated.

RSS Feed of thread