Name that cartridge...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, September 02, 2012, 06:53 (4412 days ago)

Not as good as the ones we used to have but who can tell me the important difference in the two cartridges below?

[image]

Give up?

[image]

Yep, they are both .35 Remington, both have the same powder charge under the same 200gr bullet. The difference? About .122"! Indiana lengthened the max case length for a deer cartridge to 1.80" this year. I got to thinking about it and found the .35 Remington is nominally 1.92". So, a little trimming and here we are! Did some looking and found a discussion about the same idea. Main worry was not enough neck tension or length. Got to looking and it still has more neck than a 7.62x39 and who knows how many billions of those rounds have been fired full auto without a hitch! Hopefully I will get to test them out of my Model 8 carbine tomorrow. I plan on putting one short round in the bottom of the mag and firing 20 rounds of other ammo, keeping the short one in the mag to see if it gets pushed back due to recoil.

Anyone have any specific bullets or loads to reccomended out of the .35 Remongton for whitetail?

38-38.5 gr. H4895 200 gr. RN...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 02, 2012, 07:56 (4412 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I see that you can "game" the laws. Here in VA they'd at least try to get you and it would cost a bunch to defend oneself...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, September 02, 2012, 08:15 (4412 days ago) @ Hobie

Rules state minimum of .35 caliber, max case length of 1.80" (used to be 1.6, but they lengthened it for the .460 S&W). There is a minimum case length but I forget it; basically .357mag is the smallest.

There are guys taking the WSSM cases and beckon them up to .358". Ballistics the same as a .358 Winchester. .458 SOCCOM and .450 bushmaster are also legal, giving basically a semi auto .45-70. I'm basically doing it just to have a chance to get my coolest rifle out in the woods once more. I actually though about getting another .45-70 H&R handi-rifle and trimming brass back to legal length and having a .475 Linebaugh-ish carbine!

by rob @, Sunday, September 02, 2012, 08:59 (4412 days ago) @ Slow Hand

It just amazes me how stupid laws get when you have beurocrats getting involved in every aspect of our lives. To come up with a maximum case length for deer hunting that excludes the 35 Remington and includes the 357 is assanine (nothing against the 357, just stupid laws). My solution would be to find the moron behind this law and vote him/her out of office or vote out whoever appointed them. Like Eastwood said, "this country, it's ours, not theirs. They work for us.". We need to remind them of that.

Hope you know that no criticism was intended. I love my

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, September 02, 2012, 16:41 (4412 days ago) @ Slow Hand

model 8. Glad I can hunt it without having to turn somersaults!

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread