Ivory grips

by Charles, Saturday, September 01, 2012, 18:36 (4413 days ago)

I treated myself to a pair of seconds (ivory) from Nutmeg Sports. Poking around on the Internet, I read where many folks recommended covering them with mineral oil overnight to keep them from shrinking. This doesn't change the color, just keeps them from shrinking.

Being a literal sort, I put them in a shallow dish and poured mineral oil over them until they were covered and left them for about 12 hours.

Well, I took them out and let me tell you the mineral oil bath does indeed change the color. It added about 20 years of use to them and the the light yellow color makes the grain really "pop" They look really nice. They no longer look like white plastic grips.

The only downside is the small repaired crack that made them seconds pops also. But that was bound to happen in time and I will call it a character line.

Just passing this along..

Ivory grips they sound great. I prefer that slightly aged

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, September 01, 2012, 19:21 (4413 days ago) @ Charles

look.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Ivory grips they sound great. I prefer that slightly aged

by Catoosa, Saturday, September 01, 2012, 20:31 (4413 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Hey Rob, I 'spect you have the stuff to give the same look to Ivorex grips if you should ever need to. Feibings light brown leather dye. Take a clean pad of the green 3M scrubber material and wipe down the length of the grips in one direction only. This will cut the gloss off the panels and create some "grain". Then degrease the grips with alcohol and paint them with the dye. Let it set for a day or two and then wipe them down with a paper towel. You get a nice yellowed patina with a grained look.

I have a set of Ivorex on my old Commander that I had for about 15 years, and they still looked like white plastic. Gave them the above treatment a few months ago, and now they look like 60-year-old ivory.

RSS Feed of thread