Haven't been around in a wile

by uncowboy, Sunday, December 04, 2011, 07:32 (4687 days ago)

Not by design but new work hours has turned my life to hell and now on vacation and hunting. Just returned from a new hunting camp in Clearfield PA Didn't see many deer and came home meatless BUT I saw my firsy BULL ELK in the wild. It has been a dream of mine since 1985 when my dad died and It was truelly Majestic. It was a 6x7 and it almost ran me over. I was holding my Ruger Frontier 358 win with my Leoupold Scout set up loaded with my 245Gr cast bullets . it would have been a Grand christening for my rifle but alas it is 3 years in the woods and still a virgin. I will be back next year and try to rectofy it. This week I missed out on a JERSEY bear tag and I am just going to hunt Bucks this week and Muzzleloader Mon and Tue next week. Till then a happy Holiday season to you all and A Great new year. J.Michael

Good to see you. Wish you the best at work...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, December 04, 2011, 08:49 (4687 days ago) @ uncowboy

nm

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

An Elk in PA?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, December 04, 2011, 09:31 (4687 days ago) @ uncowboy

Very cool! I have lived around elk for the better part of my life, it still makes my heart pound when I see them.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

An Elk in PA?

by stonecold @, Arkansas, Sunday, December 04, 2011, 10:53 (4687 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, we have them in Arkansas as well. The herd is maintained at around 500 and there is a hunting season each year to kill around 50 or so. These are in the Ozark region of the state. Beautiful animals and great to hear bugling in the Buffalo River Wilderness area while on a canoe trip. PS I am really enjoying my Cattleman holster for the Gary Reeder Backpacker. Great duo for walking in the woods. Thanks for you outstanding work.

An Elk in PA?

by Tom Richardson @, Clarksville, Arkansas, Sunday, December 04, 2011, 11:48 (4687 days ago) @ stonecold

How about this Arkansas elk.
About fifty miles up the road from the house.

[image]

yep, I know about the transplants back in the midwest and

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, December 04, 2011, 13:06 (4687 days ago) @ stonecold

eastern states. Most folks don't realize that Northern Idaho's elk were transplanted from Yellowstone in the 20 & 30s...

--

Elk herds

by jgt, Monday, December 05, 2011, 10:20 (4686 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Elk herds really grow when given habit with a decent ratio of elk to preditors. After Mt St Helen blew its top there was a RED ZONE established around it that encompassed the blast zone and areas with deep ash coverage. There was to be no hunting in that area for ten years and then it would be evaluated to see if the wildlife had recovered suffeciently to be hunted again.

Somes of the guys working on the briges for the highway to the new tourest center at the foot of the volcano, and those working on the center, were hunters. They brought back pictures of humungus bull elk in that area and large herds that were thriving. When I went there myself, the elk were so tame you could walk within ten to twelve feet of them before they would move off. They didn't run mind you, but just moved away from you. The deer would stand by the highway eating the grass that had been planted and watch you as you drove by. It was great for watching them for a while.

Haven't been around in a wile

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, December 05, 2011, 18:53 (4685 days ago) @ uncowboy

Have some here in Colorado:-) I believe the largest population any where. Hard not to run into one on any drive to the mountains. Our transplanted moose (from Utah back in the 70's we traded for them with Big Horn Sheep) are starting to range out from North Park. Haven't seen one yet but have seen many in Wyoming.

Happy hunting and Merry Christmas.

Art

Good to see youhere , Art nm

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 09:37 (4684 days ago) @ Art

nm

--

RSS Feed of thread