Bertram vs. Jamison brass

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 12:25 (4415 days ago)

I seem to recall one or the other was a good one to avoid. Any experience or opinions?

Thanks!

Bertram vs. Jamison brass

by Bud, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 13:18 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

I was given a couple dozen Jamison 38/55 brass. Had to throw 7 or 8 away 'cause the shell head was too thick for the shellholder. Other than that I have no experience with Jamison brass. I've since ordered and use the Starline 2.125 brass with the thin necks for 38/55.

I also have approx 100 pieces of Bertram 43 Spanish brass...it all seems to be fine even after 4 firings.

Bertram used to have a strong reputation as being very

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 13:24 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

brittle and thus had a short life. It seemed to have a different alloy as well and that might have contributed to the problem. I have some of the late stuff that is .45-75 WCF which seems ok. I also got, finally, some of the Jamison .45-75. It looks good but I haven't loaded or shot any of it yet.

Don't know what you want it for. IME, which cartridge can also make a difference.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don't understand your last sentence......

by Bud, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 13:49 (4415 days ago) @ Hobie

Well, I already ordered the Bertram so...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 14:31 (4415 days ago) @ Hobie

I have some Bertram brass in 6.5x53R. Loading history is unknown. The last trip to the range I had a partial case separation and a few "maybe imminents". Midway had more and on sale so I ordered it. This way, I'll know history.

The only experience with Jamison is some commercially loaded cases for the .35 Newton. I fired 4 rounds and split 4 necks. Was thinking of dismantling the ammo and trying to anneal the case necks but haven't gotten to that project yet.

Just curious about the products in general.

Thanks!

Sorry, In My Experience which cartridge also makes a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 18:12 (4415 days ago) @ Bud

difference. I.e. (that is), the various makers seem to have certain cartridges down pat and not so much on others. I have favorite makers depending on which cartridge it might be.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I haven't had trouble with either.

by cas, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 18:43 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

Other than the price of Bertram. 577-450 were/are $5 a case, where as Jamison was $2.50-ish.

Word is Jamison might actually be coming back under a new name, which sure would be nice.

If Jamison is coming back...

by mcassill, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 23:14 (4415 days ago) @ cas

hopefully it's under the management of somebody who knows how to make a quality product. A man's gotta know his limitations, and that was definitely one of Mr. Jamison's.

Maybe Jamison aught to stick with makin Irish Whiskey

by Bud, Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:10 (4414 days ago) @ mcassill

and forget about the brass !?!!

RSS Feed of thread