Bertram vs. Jamison brass

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 12:25 (4415 days ago)

I seem to recall one or the other was a good one to avoid. Any experience or opinions?

Thanks!

Bertram vs. Jamison brass

by Bud, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 13:18 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

I was given a couple dozen Jamison 38/55 brass. Had to throw 7 or 8 away 'cause the shell head was too thick for the shellholder. Other than that I have no experience with Jamison brass. I've since ordered and use the Starline 2.125 brass with the thin necks for 38/55.

I also have approx 100 pieces of Bertram 43 Spanish brass...it all seems to be fine even after 4 firings.

Bertram used to have a strong reputation as being very

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 13:24 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

brittle and thus had a short life. It seemed to have a different alloy as well and that might have contributed to the problem. I have some of the late stuff that is .45-75 WCF which seems ok. I also got, finally, some of the Jamison .45-75. It looks good but I haven't loaded or shot any of it yet.

Don't know what you want it for. IME, which cartridge can also make a difference.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Don't understand your last sentence......

by Bud, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 13:49 (4415 days ago) @ Hobie

Sorry, In My Experience which cartridge also makes a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 18:12 (4415 days ago) @ Bud

difference. I.e. (that is), the various makers seem to have certain cartridges down pat and not so much on others. I have favorite makers depending on which cartridge it might be.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Well, I already ordered the Bertram so...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 14:31 (4415 days ago) @ Hobie

I have some Bertram brass in 6.5x53R. Loading history is unknown. The last trip to the range I had a partial case separation and a few "maybe imminents". Midway had more and on sale so I ordered it. This way, I'll know history.

The only experience with Jamison is some commercially loaded cases for the .35 Newton. I fired 4 rounds and split 4 necks. Was thinking of dismantling the ammo and trying to anneal the case necks but haven't gotten to that project yet.

Just curious about the products in general.

Thanks!

I haven't had trouble with either.

by cas, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 18:43 (4415 days ago) @ Hoot

Other than the price of Bertram. 577-450 were/are $5 a case, where as Jamison was $2.50-ish.

Word is Jamison might actually be coming back under a new name, which sure would be nice.

If Jamison is coming back...

by mcassill, Thursday, August 30, 2012, 23:14 (4415 days ago) @ cas

hopefully it's under the management of somebody who knows how to make a quality product. A man's gotta know his limitations, and that was definitely one of Mr. Jamison's.

Maybe Jamison aught to stick with makin Irish Whiskey

by Bud, Friday, August 31, 2012, 11:10 (4414 days ago) @ mcassill

and forget about the brass !?!!

RSS Feed of thread