Cast bullet experts needed...what can I do with these....

by Byron, Friday, August 24, 2012, 18:13 (4421 days ago)

Cleaning out the barn and found these...my 13 year old boy has taken over the .30/30 and I would like to load these up for him to shoot. I think that shooting 500 rounds real careful will make him a better shot...

Power not important...it would be better if the loaded round would work on deer but not important...want accurate...consistent...etc

Give me some insight on where I should start...

Byron

Here are the bullets...

by Byron, Friday, August 24, 2012, 18:14 (4421 days ago) @ Byron

[image]

3/30 one of my favortie CB shooters

by Bud, Friday, August 24, 2012, 19:12 (4421 days ago) @ Byron

Try 12 grs of Blue Dot and/or 8.7 grs of Herco. There are a ton of other good CB loads you can try

I use IMR4895, 22 gr works for my 30/30, start at 18 gr

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, August 24, 2012, 21:26 (4421 days ago) @ Byron

which is supposed to be more accurate but 22 gr gives a flatter path. I'm using 150 gr CB's but it shouldn't matter with 165 gr bullets. Just make sure with the .311 size bullets that the case neck is not binding in the chamber, it does need room to expand. Make a dummy round and see how it seats in the chamber.

I use IMR4895, 22 gr works for my 30/30, start at 18 gr

by uncowboy, Saturday, August 25, 2012, 05:19 (4420 days ago) @ Cherokee

I would also recomend a LYMAN M Die. Really helps with accuracy. I don't know what kind od 30/30 your useing but make sure it is VERY clean without any copper in the rifleing and I like to run a patch of Johnsonens paste wax down the bore before I start shooting cast bullets. Makes clean up eassier. I also tumble my bullets in it and let them dry with a thin layer all over the bullet. They look like great bullets and the right time of year to find them. J.Michael

Ditto what uncowboy said

by Bud, Saturday, August 25, 2012, 08:20 (4420 days ago) @ uncowboy

clean that bore 'til there is no jacket fouling atall. Even do 10 minutes worth of JB paste to get it mirror smooth. I use just Hoppes #9 and sometimes it'll take a week or so to get the jacket fouling out. I know there is better stuff....

How these hard cast bullets perform on game...

by Byron, Saturday, August 25, 2012, 10:31 (4420 days ago) @ Byron

What will be the velocity range with these loads....

How fast can these plain base bullets be shot....

Rifle is a microgroove Marlin...

Thanks in advance...

Byron

How these hard cast bullets perform on game...

by RangerBob, Saturday, August 25, 2012, 12:05 (4420 days ago) @ Byron

Byron,

FWIW . . . Charles or Glenn Frixel are the guys to ask, but here's what I've seen.

Plain base cast bullets in a rifle can be accurate at up to about 1500fps. Some people can do better, but they are good at the cast bullet game. For most of us, you need a gas check to go faster. Slower than 1500fps is usually more accurate, but it really depend on hardness and chamber pressure.

At those speeds you will need a pretty soft bullet to see any expansion. Wheel weight metal is pretty much a solid at under 1500fps. Heat treat them and that number goes up.

I don't know how hard your bullets are, but knowing that would help.

Depending on the alloy you may be able to anneal the bullet noses and get some expansion.

AaronB made me some bi-metal bullets for my .458WM. They are 525gr bullets. The back is cast from wheel weight, but about 150gr at the nose is almost pure lead. These will expand well at 1500fps (this is a gas check bullet, but it should not matter if the speed is kept down).

Bob.

Since it's a Marlin

by anachronism, Saturday, August 25, 2012, 19:38 (4420 days ago) @ Byron

I'd suggest slugging the bore with a soft lead slug. Marlin microgroove fores tend to be a bit on the large size, and cast bullets demand a really tight fit to work right with one. If the bullets are truly .311, you might be okay, but it's best to double check before going too far.

Cast bullet experts needed...what can I do with these....

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Saturday, August 25, 2012, 20:10 (4420 days ago) @ Byron

Since it is a gun and they are cast bullets there is only one 100% sure test.

Load some of the loads listed here.

Do some google searches on 30-30 and cast bullet and read it all, load some of it and see what happens on paper.

Pressed hard, those may be able to kill a deer.

There are cheaper smaller bullets that he can learn to shoo with and little poswder burned too!

Just an opinion of course

RSS Feed of thread