Essentials in a first aid kit?

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 07:37 (4423 days ago)

We all know first aid kits are good to have, but what really needs to be in them? You can get a $2 one with bandaids and some ointment up to ones costing several hundred dollars. From what I can tell on the cheaper end ones other than the bag itself, you might as well assemble your own.

The new fad is to have a 'trauma kit'. Exactly what is in

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 07:55 (4423 days ago) @ stonewalrus

one of these as opposed to the platoon medic's bag, I don't know. I imagine some level of training would be required as well. Other than that you have to be able to clear the airway, stop the bleeding and treat for shock before evacuating (when appropriate) the patient. Spinal injuries? That is an aw you-know-what moment...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

The new Quik Clot type stuff is probably good to have

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 08:06 (4423 days ago) @ Hobie

While my wife was on blood thinner after knee replacement I made her carry a packet in her purse

have you taken a first aid course? Red Cross teaches this

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 09:22 (4423 days ago) @ stonewalrus

do it.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Good point. they are pushing this at work anyway

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 10:29 (4423 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

Combat Life Saver....

by Byron, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 15:40 (4423 days ago) @ stonewalrus

This is the bag the go fast boys are sporting these days...will cover most any injury that is "saveable" until the pros show up....http://olive-drab.com/od_medical_kits_postww2_cls_bag.php

More important than the gear is trauma first aid and the standard is the DoD "Combat Life Saver" course. It is taught through a number of organizations to civilians...the Red Cross gets close...will not cover GSWs....check with your local law if you are friendly with them....they may be able to get you into an "inner circle" real Combat Life Saver class...

There are a number of the gunslinger trainers who teach this stuff...get trained one way or the other...

Byron

Combat Life Saver.... thanks for reminding us of the correct

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 16:11 (4423 days ago) @ Byron

and current terminology.

Technology and knowledge are continuously improving. It helps to stay up to date. Unfortunately, in some circumstances one will not survive without follow-up professional care which may not be available quickly in the event of a catastrophic event requiring a bug out bag.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Triage.............

by Byron, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 17:33 (4423 days ago) @ Hobie

Some won't survive no what is done....

The point is to deliver the most effective care to save the most number of lives...

Training will help to id those that are not in danger....those that require care to survive and then those to just make as comfortable as possible.....

Byron

Tom, you should be able to take ...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 20:23 (4423 days ago) @ stonewalrus

basic and advanced on "state" time. We have to take both, along with keeping our CPR certification current. They started to require it after the "Big Earthquake Drill" in 2006.

RSS Feed of thread