mini bug out bag for office

by stonewalrus, Monday, August 20, 2012, 21:35 (4425 days ago)
edited by stonewalrus, Monday, August 20, 2012, 21:40

I'm toying with assembling a "shoebox size" BOB for my office (firearms excluded). Toying with ideas and open for suggestions. If things get bad, wife has car and I might have to hoof it a ways to get to her and it would also be nice to have a few general purpose tools around.

I'm thinking multi-tool, fixed blade knife (not too large), compass, some small wrench/socket set set,bottled water, energy bars?
I do have a small machete (12") in my desk drawer and a multi-tool and two flashlights in my regular carry bag and I'm always carrying heavy duty pepper spray.

IF I have an early warning, I will have the car parked next to my building and there WILL be some of my "friends" in it.

Space blanet or 2, energy bars hand warmer packs (seasonal)

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 20, 2012, 21:41 (4425 days ago) @ stonewalrus

1st aid kit extra prescriptions glasses(if needed) gloves emergent poncho (99 cent fits in pocket style)We made little kits for the kids when we lived in AK so they had a better chance of making it 24 hours away from home in winter if power went or other social emergency...I wouldn't keep a gun in that, unless it was very secure-or on you...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

First aid kit; lighter; petrolatum; cash

by brionic @, Monday, August 20, 2012, 22:21 (4425 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I assume you are making a "get home" bag. Your kit is determined by your needs - weather, strife, natural disaster, etc. A daybag sized pack is key for storing/carrying your gear.

Back in olden days, when I worked in high rise buildings, I also kept an emergency radio, flashlights+extra batteries, change of clothing, gloves/hat, maps, hefty bags, and about 180' of rope and 550 cord. Certain less palatable and duplicate items were stored in the trunk of my vehicle, which only was useful when I drove to work.

This style of kit kept me comfortable, safe, and equipped through the L.A. riots, the '93 Old Topanga fire, the '94 earthquake, and the '97 North Hollywood shootout. Those were exciting times for a young, single guy in El Lay.

I guess I'm lucky......

by bmize, Monday, August 20, 2012, 23:04 (4425 days ago) @ brionic

My office is at home or on the road in my truck or in a warehouse with my truck 50' away. Bad part is our warehouse is 45 miles away on the otherside of town.
Rope, small firstaid kit, rain suite, lite and heavy coats, gloves, some bottled water, assorted knives, Estwing 24" camp ax, assorted friend(long and short with spare mags.
What I really want is a bug out place at the lake or river 50 miles from town ;-)
Living in the burbs now, can't even go outside without someone seeing me.

I'm that way too - suburbs in strife probably not the best

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 05:43 (4424 days ago) @ bmize

Nm

Here's all a man needs...

by Boge Quinn, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:01 (4424 days ago) @ brionic

"Shoot, a guy could have a pretty good weekend

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 16:39 (4424 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

in Vegas with all that stuff!"

--

good ideas - Thanks

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 05:39 (4424 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

I have bug out bags in my car and truck

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 04:05 (4424 days ago) @ stonewalrus

:-D Mine is a backpack in my car and one in my pickup. In them I have water , gloves,space bags, dry food , mess kit , Knives, several ways to make fire , flashlights , extra batters , shortwave radio, wool watch cap, lite sticks, 550 cord, leatherman supertool, and a charter arms bulldog pug with 50rounds of ammo. in my truck my firearm is a S&W #65 with ammo. I like talking about bug out bags .I try to learn from other people . good post.

I do have an "executive" privilege - we are assembling

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 05:46 (4424 days ago) @ Fivegunner

A few BOBs for our field staff. The "pilot project" resides in my office but it's pretty big and heavy

I have thought baby wipes and hand sanitizer (burns good too

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 08:17 (4424 days ago) @ Fivegunner

And a few good paper towel sheets in a ziplock or toilet paper.

Baby wipes TP hand sanatizer= Money when there is none to be

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 09:15 (4424 days ago) @ stonewalrus

had :-)

--

I found myself in this very situation once...

by pokynojoe, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 09:18 (4424 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Talk about survival! I ran out of whiskey for about three days, it was tough, and I thought I wasn't gonna make it, but I somehow made it through. As God is my witness, I swore I'd never let that happen again!

Since I'm not able to make it anymore(government frowns on that and they're everywhere these days)I have to keep bottles stashed everywhere. Too each his own, but I'm too old to worry about fishing line, and firestarter and all that other crap. I suppose if someone were to put the "black spot" on me, I probably woundn't survive, but as long as I got a bottle within arms reach, I wouldn't care.

Joe you need a Rambo Knife with a waterproof match holder

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 10:53 (4424 days ago) @ pokynojoe
edited by Rob Leahy, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 11:58

in the grip I keep a couple ounces of whiskey in mine...just in case. Sounds like you need to be the next Saint Bernard; you can just whistle up a dog and have your drink delivered.

--

I actually tried the water proof match thing...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 20:19 (4423 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

didn't work. Some years back I wandered into an Army surplus store and bought one of those metal water proof match thingies. One chilly winter day I reach into my pocket to take a little nip to warm me up and noticed the whole front of my britches were wet. I figure to myself, "Joe ole boy, if'n you can't control yourself any better, you're gonna have to start wearing diapers." turned out the hooch had eaten through the metal cap. Don't know about the "store bought whiskey", might work for that.

Don't know about any "Rambo" knife thing. My pockets ain't that deep, besides, knives are dangerous.

Joe

Burns. well too - kind of an expensive flame though

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 14:22 (4423 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Nm

This might be a handy addition to the bug-out bag...

by Boge Quinn, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:48 (4424 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Must haves.......

by Byron, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 16:39 (4424 days ago) @ stonewalrus

[image]
[image]
[image]
Byron

HA!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 16:40 (4424 days ago) @ Byron

--

I reckon I'm lucky

by Catoosa, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 21:31 (4423 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Bein' retired and all. I ain't figgerin' on buggin' out anywhere - I'm usually already at the place I'd be buggin' out to. It's pretty well outfitted. And defended.

OTOH, whenever I'm away from home, I always make sure I have enough money, gas, food, and ammo to get home.

we may need to bug out to YOUR house

by stonewalrus, Thursday, August 23, 2012, 16:40 (4422 days ago) @ Catoosa

At least 840 is supposed to be finished in a couple of months

RSS Feed of thread