Unrepentant Sinner

by Otony, Monday, August 20, 2012, 09:31 (4425 days ago)

Finished reading Carlos' book last night. Interesting read, especially in a few places between the lines.

Fairly obvious that he was not an easy man to get along with, and had he kept on with a few more of his "youthful indiscretions", he may well have been a habitué of the other side of the law. He was a wild child as a youngster.

Last chapter was a wandering meander summing up his life, and ended quite flat. In fact, the last few chapters were basically just hunting stories, his bio had essentially stopped a bit earlier. Still, it was an interesting and revealing tale. If someone would like to read it, I would gladly pass it along for their enjoyment.

Otony

Unrepentant Sinner

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, August 20, 2012, 15:04 (4425 days ago) @ Otony

I'd like to read it please, and would gladly cover the shipping both ways.

invssgt@gmail.com

Unrepentant Sinner

by Bud, Monday, August 20, 2012, 17:06 (4425 days ago) @ Sarge

I read it many years ago. Didn't care for his style...maybe it was the way he wrote. Pompus ass come to mind.

+1

by Byron, Monday, August 20, 2012, 19:14 (4425 days ago) @ Bud

I have never been a fan of Askins. Never saw him as a positive charge.

While times have changed over the years, anyone who ever spent much time looking into him quickly realized he was a multiple cold blooded murderer.

There is also enought evidence out there to question his war status.

One of my favorite of Charlies stories is about a national championship pistol match with a cheater pistol. He also advised a shot or two of whiskey before the match would "settle your nerves".

Byron

MAny competitive shooters drank before during and after the

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 20, 2012, 19:28 (4425 days ago) @ Byron

matches Steadied the nerves, or so it was thought. Askins mentioned trying a bit too much and hating the results... But yeah, many of the things he did then would put him in prison now. I happen to enjoy his writing almost as much as Bill Jordan, Skeeter and Elmer's story's. 86 times to Africa... sounds like he enjoyed it there...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

MAny competitive shooters drank before during and after the

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 19:47 (4424 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I must admit, when I was in my apprenticeship and had welding classes after work, I did much better if I met the guys for a couple of beers before class. I have a nasty habit of getting a death grip on the welding stinger and with a couple of beers, I was much smoother! Can't say I'd try it for shooting but I guess Alan's got to know his limits!

He seemed to get real pleasure from killing a man. (nm)

by Boge Quinn, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 12:49 (4424 days ago) @ Byron

i agree completely!

by cable, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 11:23 (4424 days ago) @ Bud

:-)

Unrepentant Sinner

by Otony, Monday, August 20, 2012, 21:13 (4425 days ago) @ Sarge

Email sent sir!

Otony

Unrepentant Sinner

by Charles, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 14:17 (4424 days ago) @ Otony

I didn't care for Charles Askins or his writing when he was alive and his standing has not improved with his death. I didn't buy the book when he was alive and trying to hawk it to make a few bucks and establish himself as a real hard case.

Unrepentant Sinner

by Otony, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 20:40 (4424 days ago) @ Charles

I didn't care for Charles Askins or his writing when he was alive and his standing has not improved with his death. I didn't buy the book when he was alive and trying to hawk it to make a few bucks and establish himself as a real hard case.

I have to totally agree with the above Charles. Still, I was curious about the contents, so when this copy came up used at a good price, I decided to drop a few ducats. It was....interesting in a sad sort of way.

You will notice I am freely giving it away!

Otony

I make no judgements on the man's character...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 20:49 (4424 days ago) @ Otony

the disposition of his soul, etc. That is over my pay grade, anyhow. Like many old gunmen I find him an interesting character and that alone is enough for me to crack open one of his books.

I carry a gun for a living, yet 99% of my shooting has been recreational and I enjoy that a lot. Still, myself and good number of you here carry for serious purposes and you can't sugar coat the fact that that means 'shooting people'. Say what you want about Askins... he reconciled himself with that and got in plenty of practice at it. I find his experiences a worthwhile study. Bet I can read the whole thing without putting a clothes-pin on my nose.

Thanks again Tony, for the opportunity.

by Charles, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 10:23 (4423 days ago) @ Sarge

Judgement is a judicial word and means determining the value of a man's soul and it's destination. That is God's business and not mine or anybody else.

That said, in the course of living we have to make evaluations of folks we meet. That is certainly true in Law Enforcement as in every other walk of life. We just can't assume everybody is a hail fellow well met, turn our backs on them, or trust them with our money, or wife or our daughter. Only fools do that.

The New Testament says we shall know people by their fruits. You don't get apples from an orange tree or cherries from a blue berry bush. So fruit inspection is very helpful in dealing with human beings.

I also do not judge Charles Askins,but his fruit seems bitter and rotton to me.

I'm not going to argue the point...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 12:00 (4423 days ago) @ Charles

which incidentally, has nothing to do with the reading of a book.

I'm not going to argue the point...

by Charles, Wednesday, August 22, 2012, 15:58 (4423 days ago) @ Sarge

Not trying to argue, just giving a point of view. Everybody is entitled to their own, and that was mine.

by RangerBob, Thursday, August 23, 2012, 07:41 (4422 days ago) @ Charles

Charles,

I will probabably quote you many times on this last post. That is a very succinct summation of the actual meaning of "do not judge" and how it applies to our everyday lives.

Bob

RSS Feed of thread