Magnum Research 1911 G

by Mark Stevenson, Monday, August 20, 2012, 07:52 (4425 days ago)

My nephew is looking for a 45 ACP pistol. We went to the local shop and looked at most of the available models from S&W, Kimber, Colt, Taurus, H&K, Sig, and a few others I've forgotten.
He is mostly interested in a 1911, and particularly liked the Magum Research 1911 G.

A careful look over didn't reveal any glaring flaws, and the Israeli's seem to know how to make a quality firearm.

Excellent trigger, nice features and a price that fits in Chris' budget.
Any feedback from some-one who is familiar with the Magnum Research 1911's?
I gave him my feedback that I thought it was worth buying, but I didn't have any direct knowledge of them.

Mark

Magnum Research 1911 G

by Otony, Monday, August 20, 2012, 09:23 (4425 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Magnum Research was bought by Kahr/Auto-Ordnance a year or two back. I cannot be sure, but you should check that it is not simply a rebranded AO.

Otony

Re-branded AO? Not

by Mark Stevenson, Monday, August 20, 2012, 09:48 (4425 days ago) @ Otony

The slide has Made in Israel on it, so I'm pretty sure it's not.

Re-branded AO? Not

by Otony, Monday, August 20, 2012, 10:03 (4425 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Well that is a good thing. Funny how they would import an Israeli made 1911 when the parent company makes 'em, but there you go.

I think I would rather have the Israeli built piece my self. AO's have had a less than stellar rep over the years, although that is supposedly in the past now.

Otony

Re-branded AO? Not

by Mark Stevenson, Monday, August 20, 2012, 11:35 (4425 days ago) @ Otony

I typed "not to my knowledge" I wonder where the rest went?
I've taken a good look at a few Auto Ordinance 1911's and was not impressed. They were very rough.
Every IMI made gun I've handled has been well made.

This Israeli made one looks very close to Kimber in fit and finish, as long as the internals are as nicely done I think it's a winner. But like I said, I haven't heard anything about them.

Well, never mind

by Mark Stevenson, Monday, August 20, 2012, 17:38 (4425 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Chris bought himself a 5" stainless Sig 1911 with adjustable sights.
I told him he made an excellent choice.

The shop we were in yesterday didn't have a Sig 1911 to check out, but one near him did.

Good for Chris...

by Brian A, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 11:30 (4424 days ago) @ Mark Stevenson

Too bad we did not have more 1911s available for him to try out at the TSMS. My Dad forgot to bring up his Kimber, but I could've brought out my AO, didn't think he was that serious about getting one so soon. The SIG sounds like a nice piece though I have not handled them personally.

I think he'll be happy with it.

by Mark Stevenson, Tuesday, August 21, 2012, 13:41 (4424 days ago) @ Brian A

Sig makes good guns, I've not heard anything but positive about them.

This reminds me, I'm going to need to order a slide stop for my Combat Commander.
Funny how that broke after only 5000 rounds isn't it? :-|
I'll start putting a Brownells order together, do you need anything from them?

RSS Feed of thread