Traded into a 4 inch Redhawk, need leather and grips

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Friday, August 03, 2012, 17:14 (4442 days ago)

4 inch Redhawk

Looking for some smaller grips may find a set of the wood factory grips.

Also need a holster for it. I like the Bianchi 111 Cyclone for my Smiths, not sure what I want for this beast.

Any ideas?

Two words on a holster: Simply Rugged

by stonewalrus, Friday, August 03, 2012, 17:22 (4442 days ago) @ Warhawk

Nm

by Catoosa, Friday, August 03, 2012, 17:31 (4442 days ago) @ Warhawk

Redhawk big, heavy gun. Big heavy gun need sturdy, well-fitting holster for comfortable, secure carry. Rob make sturdy, well-fitting holsters for big heavy guns. Problem solved.

by Jhenry, Friday, August 03, 2012, 19:11 (4442 days ago) @ Warhawk

I find the factory Redhawk grips a bit small for my hands BUT for smallish grips they do work well. I am sure you can find a set somewhere.

For just about any field gun I like Simply Rugged. I do however have a Cyclone for my Smith M57. I found the holster in a box of cast offs and picked it up for 10 bucks. Brand new, just dusty and dry. It is a comfy rig.

I have a Rob Leahy made Sourdough for my 38/44 which is also a bit of a chunk, and it rides very securely and comfortably all day.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Friday, August 03, 2012, 23:11 (4442 days ago) @ Jhenry

Anyone have any experience with the Barranti Northwest Hunter chest rig?

by SKgrips @, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 09:46 (4441 days ago) @ Warhawk

Mikes Holsters are top shelf, beautiful and functional:-D

Yes, Mike makes top shelf gear, I recomend him.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 11:25 (4441 days ago) @ Warhawk

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Good luck getting one from barranti!!

by woody, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 19:05 (4441 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by woody, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 19:05

I ordered 2 holsters and a belt 2 years ago and still don't have them. Awesome work can't wait to see them.

And as always can't go wrong with a Simply Rugged Rob is one of the best!!!

Woody, Have you spoken with Mike lately? I had no idea

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 19:16 (4441 days ago) @ woody

he was taking that long. I would call him.
We about 2 weeks right now. Grips... Rod Herrett or Scott Kolar or Bullshooter's

--

I will have to call...

by woody, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 19:22 (4441 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by woody, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 19:31

Might have to call,kind of forget about the order till his name comes up. I'm used to It with knife orders and turkey calls etc. I have waited 4 years to get a turkey call. Well worth the wait when it is custom work.

Woody, Mike is a standup guy. I would call him

by brionic @, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 21:21 (4441 days ago) @ woody

I'll bet he'll straighten it out for you.

Brian email me.

by woody, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 19:31 (4440 days ago) @ brionic

Brian please email me.

Woody402@rochester.rr.com

Brian email me.

by Mike Barranti @, Monday, August 06, 2012, 08:50 (4439 days ago) @ woody

I spoke to Eric last evening and we are okay. His order was bypassed in error but will be shipped in the next few days, with an upgrade, some extras and sincere apologies.

Take away everything else, and all a fella has is his name, and I sure don't want mine thought of in a poor way.

Thanks Eric for your patience and understanding!

Sincerely,

Mike Barranti

Brian email me.

by woody, Monday, August 06, 2012, 08:55 (4439 days ago) @ Mike Barranti

Thanks again Mike you don't have to go out of you way or do anything extra. I know things can happen in a busy world that it has become
I appreciate it.

Mike is awesome to deal with!!! And look foward to seeding your work in person.

Good to see this

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 06, 2012, 11:23 (4439 days ago) @ woody

happen. Not surprised at all. Both good guys.

--

For grips, look at Hogues non-finger grooved

by anachronism, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 15:36 (4441 days ago) @ Warhawk

wood grips. I have a set on my 7-1/2 Redhawk, and really like them, although I do wish they were a bit smaller for my little finger. Maybe a little file work is in order. You can custom order Hogues the way you want them, it just takes time.

http://www.hoguestore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=27_66_426&prod...

Not sure I'm going to keep this thing now

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 22:14 (4441 days ago) @ Warhawk

The more I handle this Redhwak, the more I like my Smith & Wessons, especially my Mountain Guns. *IF* I keep this one, it's going to have to have some money spent on an action job.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, August 04, 2012, 22:23 (4441 days ago) @ Warhawk

but if I do keep it, I think I'll try a set of grips by Nill Griffe. They seem to get universal praise, maybe it's because of the cost <G>.

I didn't realize how big and heavy the Redhawk was until I handled side by side with a 629 Mountain Gun, which is my all time favorite firearm.

by RidinLou, Middle TN, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 09:35 (4440 days ago) @ Warhawk

If I was going to be packing it around, and I had a Mountain gun, I would get shed of the Redhawk in a New York second and I have a Redhawk to carry hunting.
On the other hand I think you will not enjoy the factory wood grips. Mind came with Hogues from the guy I bought it from. I went to effort to track down and buy the factory wood. Traded them out in the middle of a shooting session and it only took two shots to convince me to put the Hogues back on.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 14:45 (4440 days ago) @ RidinLou

I have a 629-2 Mountain "Revolver" and a 629-4 Mountain Gun, plus a 686 Mountain Gun.

I think my 629 Classics (5 and 6.5 inchers) are both lighter than this Redhawk.

I still kick myself for selling a 3 inch Model 29 Bounty Hunter, sold it because it had the lock and was my only Smith with the Hillary Hole.

There is a 329PD local to me for sale on another board. Hmmm ....

Jim

That is the conclusion I keep comming to myself...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 10:56 (4440 days ago) @ Warhawk

I have gone through several Redhawks- they are well built strong decent sights smooth DA but off the scale(Literally) and 8 pound Single action from the factory triggers just vex me. They will smoothy up and a spring kit is a good idea. But, I will always prefer my Mountain Guns over the Redhawks. I have a 4" 44 and a 7.5" 44 Redhawk that we use to form holsters around. I will be casting aluminum form guns in the next week or so they will be 2 of the first to get cast, so I can sell em.
A good friend that works for me, has had my Mountain Lion (Same as the MG) for a year now... he was waiting for us to cast the redhawk so he could claim it as his own. After a year of toting the S&W, he asked if he could hang onto it as he came to the same conclusion...These get carried and used on a daily basis
[image]
These are strong accurate pistols but even in Alaska, I tended to leave them in the safe and carry a Mountain Gun... the 454 literally got left behind with a friend that had a remote cabin[image]

--

I have both guns too...

by anachronism, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 11:43 (4440 days ago) @ Warhawk

My 44 Redhawk is a 7-1/2 incher, and will be getting cut to 5.5 inches as soon as funds permit. A spring kit is a necessity, and will make a noticeable improvement in the trigger. However the single-action does need to be addressed with std Redhawks. Ruger really should be building Redhawks on a modified Super Redhawk frame, without the barrel extension. Supers are very tuneable at home. The single actions are a little creepy out of the box, but are a lot better than the std version.

My plan is to keep the Redhawk, and my Mountain Gun (ahem, Mountain Revolver). They both fire the same caliber, but my Redhawk is a lot less fussy about ammo than the 629 is, and handles heavy bullets and loads with a lot more dignity too. My 629 gets a bit sticky with hotter loads, but it is lighter to carry, and will make a great hunting companion.

Not that any of this matters but I wanted to put in my 2

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, August 05, 2012, 20:12 (4440 days ago) @ Warhawk

cents...

I got a 4" Redhawk so that I'd have a gun for AK type loads using heavy bullets with heavy charges that would maybe be too much for my 629 4" which I like. My thought also was that if it went in the soup or got crapped up in some other circumstance (or stolen enroute, to or from) I wouldn't be all that attached. I guess it is still a good idea but I just realized I've had it since early 2008 (or late 2007) and NEVER shot it. I use .45 Colt or .44 Special single actions or the 25-2 or 624 around here. So my inner Walter Mitty aside, I'm not too thrilled with the gun myself.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Not that any of this matters but I wanted to put in my 2

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, August 06, 2012, 00:23 (4440 days ago) @ Hobie

It matters .... I've come to the same conclusion. And at 52 years old with a bad back, the possibility of me being in Alaska and needing bear defense is pretty slim. My firearm desires these days run more to the lightweight guns anyway.

Yep, I sure have been busy acquiring .22 LRs...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, August 06, 2012, 07:33 (4439 days ago) @ Warhawk

:-D

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread