1st Generation, Military Issued Colt Single-Action Army

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, November 28, 2011, 20:00 (4692 days ago)

Today I heard about a shop that has one of the subject revolvers, .45 Colt. I can't be certain of condition, etc. but the shop is:

Homestead Gunsmith Shop
2041 Spaders Church Rd,
Harrisonburg, VA 22801

(540) 434-8028

Owner/operator is Jon Ritenour and he is a good fella in my book. He calls me Barney. :-D

Fife or the big purple dinosaur?

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 05:28 (4692 days ago) @ Hobie

:-D

"Fife or the big purple dinosaur?" ---- Neither...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 10:28 (4692 days ago) @ stonewalrus

nm

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Must be the single cartridge kept in the breast pocket....

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 12:31 (4692 days ago) @ Hobie

:-D ;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Apparently he can't pronounce Hobie as spelled with a B (nm)

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 15:50 (4692 days ago) @ Hobie

nt

You guys are so funny. He NEVER knew me as Hobie.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 17:49 (4691 days ago) @ Hobie
edited by Hobie, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 17:58

"Barney" is a diminutive/nickname of/for "Barent". It is a long story but I was supposed to be named for my great-great grandfather but Dad got the name wrong (Barent was the name of several OTHER grandfathers...) and that particular grandfather's name was Barney Alonzo so because Barney is a nick for Barent and they really wanted to call me Barney in the first place they did. Only after I had an "incident" with a Hobie-cat 16 and a certain captain did I get the appellation "Hobie". "Barent" may be correctly pronounced a couple of ways, and was in the family. However, most folks have no confidence in speaking that name and "Hobie" and "Barney" are more familiar and comfortable for them to use. So, call me Ray or call me Jay but just don't call me late for dinner.

FWIW, I am the last person on earth who would consent to carrying only one round of ammo. Even with my single-shots and muzzle-loaders I'll carry 20 or more. Neither do I have any affection for furry, purple, pseudo-reptilians hosting insipid childrens' shows.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Like I said...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 18:23 (4691 days ago) @ Hobie

and I quote you to prove my point:

"Barent" may be correctly pronounced a couple of ways, and was in the family. However, most folks have no confidence in speaking that name and "Hobie" and "Barney" are more familiar and comfortable for them to use.

In other words, he can't pronounce "Hobie" as spelled with a B - a reference to your given name which not everyone here may be familiar with. :)

BUT - I had NO idea about the whole Barney/Barent nickname, runs in the family angle. Well, I knew that Barent was in the family, didn't know about the Barney bit.

Names are funny things. Some are easier to remember than others. Some folks seem to be miss named. And then there is what I call the "Cousin George" syndrome. I got that from when a young girl told me "You remind me of my cousin George." We see someone who reminds us of someone else and that resemblance may lead us to confuse the names.

Anyway, I can agree with you on your views as to amount of ammo and insipid children's shows. :D

a friend of my BILs last name is Fife

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 29, 2011, 19:31 (4691 days ago) @ Paul

I didn't know his real first name for several years - he couldn't escape the Barney moniker for some reason.

Nip it!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 10:44 (4691 days ago) @ Hobie

[image]

--

Believe me, I understand his plight... ;-D

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 19:37 (4690 days ago) @ stonewalrus

nm

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

He was ready to "nip it" with a Colt Official Police...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, November 30, 2011, 19:37 (4690 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Yes, I have one...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I saw the Colt and new you had one...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, December 01, 2011, 10:14 (4690 days ago) @ Hobie

nm

--

RSS Feed of thread