Ruger LCP

by Charles, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 12:46 (4473 days ago)

The Walter PPK I have been lugging around in my pocket since 1995 is starting to get a mite heavy. Technology has changed since then and the Ruger LCP at less than half the weight, is starting to look good to me.

I have not payed attention to these plastic pocket pistols, because I find them truly disgusting to contemplate. But, the world has turned over a few time and I am willing to take a second look at this POS.

Tell me of your experience and opinions about the Ruger LCP. I am familiar with the limitations of these types of weapons, so please don't tell me I am better off with a 1911. I already have three of those.:-D :-D

They don't get returned but I suspect they don't get shot a

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 13:00 (4473 days ago) @ Charles

lot. We do sell all we get pretty quickly and it seems most buy them based on the recommendations of friends.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I like mine - light, handy and recoil is not that bad

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 14:09 (4473 days ago) @ Charles

The only detriment is the sights. Ruger might have just as well left them off. I had trouble at the 7 - 10 yard range. I did better ignoring the sights rather than try to use them. Mine now sports a laser.

I have one, Charle - quite happy with it. It's a tool that

by John K., Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 14:21 (4473 days ago) @ Charles

rides lightly in the pocket, particularly in the summer months. "Cover" garments for 1911s and such are hysterically obvious in south Alabama around August. The 32acp Kel-Tec version would balk if a fella didn't pay close attention while loading those semi-rimmed cartridges in the magazine. Personally, no issues with the 380acp LCP. I have a Fobus clip on kydex holster that works well also.

There was a recall on early LCPs for firing when dropped, but Ruger worked it out and stamped the frame to signify the rework.

I generally carry either the LCP or a scandium smith 357, one surefire, a leatherman and two knives every day. Though they are common on the internet, I've never spotted one of those internet gurus out in the wild carrying an M-14, two 1911s, six knives, three flashlights and 600rnds of ammo. However, I will admit there's lots more stuff in my truck...

I have one, Charle - quite happy with it. It's a tool that

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 14:55 (4472 days ago) @ John K.

I've set the wayback machine to the 1950s this summer and wear a light cotton short-sleeve shirt with the tails out. It's 103 here today and humid, and we just got back from a historical site dedication. I wouldn't say I was "comfortable" but I doubt I could dress any cooler and still be presentable in public. The steel J-frame in the pocket of my kaks is not noticeable to me or anyone else. Given the chouce between plastic and stainless steel, I'll take the heavier s/s just because it resists rust better, but the main reason I stick with J-frames is I just don't care for the .380.

Trust me, I would know you were carrying a steel J-frame

by John K., Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 15:21 (4472 days ago) @ Catoosa

In a static "just standing there" mode, perhaps not. Moving, walking, etc., yes.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 15:47 (4472 days ago) @ John K.

Don't doubt it. So could I. But only a few of us are trained to look for guns on people. It's amazing how many people just walk around not really "seeing" much of anything.

Back in the old days before CCW permits, "deep" concealment was a bit more important to me. Since I am retired and now a card-carrying good guy, I don't sweat it. My usual mode of dress would give me away more readily than my gun printing to anyone who knew what to look for.

Some years ago (before Katrina and things went to heck down there) I was walking down Bourbon Street in New Orleans and a female NO police officer "bumped" the Leatherman under my shirt. I just grinned at her and said "I left my gun at the hotel. You guys have this place so well covered that I decided I didn't need it". She gave me a big smile in return, thanked me and wished us a good trip. A few months afterward it all got blown/washed away and things apparently haven't been the same since.

by Charles, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 18:15 (4472 days ago) @ Catoosa

I have been carrying my PPK in a Kramer pocket holster in my left front pocket for many years and never had an issue or anybody look at me crosswise. I doubt if the LCP will give any problems either.

You are not in trouble in Texas with you CHL as long as you don't flash or expose the gun. If the average guy or gal looking for oatmeal in the supermarket will walk you by without screaming "GUN", you are OK.

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 22:38 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

Anytime one of my relatives who knows I have a carry permit asks why I "carry a pistol", I tell them "Because people look at you funny when you walk in Kroger with a shotgun."

That usually ends the discussion. Probably also one reason some of them consider me a smartass.

Ruger LCP

by Alfred John, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 14:52 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

The little LCP is very nice. However I have gotten the Kel-Tec P3T 380acp as I could not get a LCP. Haven't regretted it yet. It and the LCP is an "Always Gun" you always have it with you. I drop mine in my pocket when I get dressed the same as I do my Wallet and Keys. Just keep the dust bunnies out of the barrel, an occasional wipe with a clean oiled rag. Shoot it a bit now and again. It just keeps going very nice. I do sometimes forget it is on me, but it does belong on me. Also the current generation of laser sights are great and worthwhile. I don't think you would amiss to have an LCP for a carry piece. Of course I do have bigger and meaner stuff close by in my truck etc. I found common Winchester White Box flatnose FMJ 380's some of the best ammo as well. I have carried the Walther PPK and PP's as well along with various revolvers, the little current quality 380's fill the bill very nicely. Now of course I have been looking a the Kel-Tec's little PF9, (9MM) and it is talking nice to me for similar carry use. Hard to beat for the weight and price. I think you might really like one of your choice. My Walthers have earned their retirement are still fun to do some plinking with. I hope you select a nice one and enjoy it as I do mine.

a friend of mine has the Keltec 9

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 19:27 (4472 days ago) @ Alfred John

He can't keep it on a sheet of paper at 7 yards. I'd be thinking S&W Shield.

Ruger LCP

by JLF @, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 15:13 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

I've had a Kel-Tec .32 since shortly after they came out, which is a few years. I never upgraded to the .380, it's a big heavy sucker.:-) I figure at minute-of-earhole, the difference is negligible. When I go shooting, I usually remember to empty it. I can routinely bounce a coke can around at reasonable distances. It's never once had a malf. I clean it, reload it, and stick it back in my pocket with spare change, some knife, guitar picks, ans whatever else winds up in there. Once or twice, with my "hands in my pockets", it's been at the ready, and comforting indeed.

JLF

? for Stonewalrus

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 15:25 (4472 days ago) @ JLF

Hey Tom, do you still have your Kel-Tec .32 or did you trade it?

I think Jack has the right idea. I have the same app for my little Beretta 950, and likewise the .38 Terrier, when I'm not carryin' a gun.

sold it off when Son #1 gave me money for the LCP

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 18:30 (4472 days ago) @ Catoosa

I had had it seize up and had to send it back to the factory. They said it just needed cleaned and the "updated" a few parts and sent it back. It was NOT dirty by any stretch. One of the reasons I got the money from son #1 was he insisted I retire it.

OK..I am conviced

by Charles, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 15:26 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

I went down to the local gun pusher and bought one. Their credit care swiper was on the blink and the banks are closed for the 4th of July. Paperwork is all done, tomorrow I will swing by the bank and take them the cash.

Like the rest of you guys, I have some much more serious stuff in the vehicle and home, this will go in the pocket where the PPK used to be.

I will probably pick up a pocket holster fairly soon. The PPK is is a Kramer which has been very good, but I WILL NOT pay $99.00 for a holster in which to carry a $300.00 pistol. So, I will go cheaper.

It is a great always gun - you'll forget it's there

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 18:34 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

Nm

An Uncle Mike's? ;-D

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 21:32 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I like the Desantis Nemesis - not bulky, stays put

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 21:51 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

Nm

Et Tu Tom...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 05, 2012, 20:05 (4471 days ago) @ stonewalrus

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Leather is for REAL pistols not necessary

by stonewalrus, Friday, July 06, 2012, 09:16 (4471 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by stonewalrus, Friday, July 06, 2012, 09:36

For the times you opt to carry a micro...:-D

You might want to consider adding a Crimson Trace laser

by Edward Young @, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 17:02 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

To me, these guns' usefulness is magnified greatly with the laser.

It shoots!

by cas, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 17:38 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

I wish the sights were better, that's where the Kel-Tec has a tiny advantage, the LCP has a "ramp" front, while the Kel-Tec has sort of a micro patridge where at least you can get some paint on it. I owned both briefly and liked/kept the Ruger.

Shoot one first, Charles...

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 18:46 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

Everybody except you & me has one already and with your winning ways, you should easily find one to test drive. The reason I suggest this is because the LCP has a pointlessly-long trigger pull and it's all but devoid of sights. If you can hit a coffee can at 25 steps with your little Walther (or a J frame) shooting single action, you may not be impressed with the LCP. I'm not saying it can't be done with an LCP; it's just a hell of a lot more work than it needs to be.

Half my boys had LCP's at one time, but they don't anymore. The 15 & 25 yard stages were straining them at qualifications... but I'm one of those old cranky-asses who still scores targets, instead of just yelling 'PASS!'.

Whoops. Too late...

by Sarge, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 18:50 (4472 days ago) @ Sarge

I take it all back. The LCP is the best defense gun on the planet ;)

Whoops. Too late...PASS!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 05, 2012, 17:44 (4471 days ago) @ Sarge

:-D

--

Charles the slightly larger S&W M&P Shield in 9mm or 40S&W

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 19:52 (4472 days ago) @ Charles

have a far superior trigger. We have 4 or of the Ruger LCPs and an LC9 in the house, but the S&W trigger is better than all of em out of the box. I have heard that Ruger is making some changes in the LOOOOONG trigger and will be offer retro fits, but all just unconfirmed rumor as of now.

--

Charles the slightly larger S&W M&P Shield in 9mm or 40S&W

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 04, 2012, 22:54 (4472 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

To each his own, but that's why I generally do not care for DA-only. They are good as a dedicated close-up defense gun, but my carry guns are more general-purpose. As sure as I stuck a DA-only auto in my pocket, the first thing I'd have to use it on would be a big snapping turtle with just his head stuck up out of my pond. I can manage a shot like that with a single-action trigger, but it's pretty hopeless for me with a DA.

The TRIGGER is light, like a SA some take up, but a crisp

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 05, 2012, 10:19 (4472 days ago) @ Catoosa

SA like break. try one you will be amazed.

--

Rob, if you mean the trigger on the S&W M&P

by Catoosa, Friday, July 06, 2012, 19:46 (4470 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

you are absolutely right. I have shot Tom's compact and it is sweet. If I needed another 9mm (which I don't, since I already have an even half dozen) I would definitely go for an M&P.

DANG IT Rob!!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, July 06, 2012, 20:44 (4470 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I talked myself out of a DA-semi because of the triggers.

I talked myself out of a .40, well, because it's a .40.

Now you come along and tell me it's all changed? Man....better start checking the couch cushions...

there is a WORLD of difference with the M&P series

by stonewalrus, Saturday, July 07, 2012, 09:28 (4470 days ago) @ Hoot

Nothing like the Glock, Taurus Mil Pro. Or LCP. Very good trigger relative to the others that feel more like one that belongs on a squirt gun.

Ruger LCP I like it!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 05, 2012, 15:32 (4471 days ago) @ Charles

I have been carrying a LCP since they came out , I use the Milt Sparks pocket holster. you still have to clean it every week of all the lint and stuff that gets into your pocket. I love this little gun , I have carryed my Walter ppk and ppks in the pocket before I got the LCP . its the min amount of protection, just above A good knife I feel, the reason I carry the LCP is that It has never failed to shoot with anything that I ran though it .:-D

RSS Feed of thread