A question for JT. Colt New Frontier vs Flat Top Ruger.44

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, October 05, 2024, 20:03 (10 days ago)

Or anyone else who has owned both.

John, I was curious on your thoughts of a Colt New Frontier vs a flat top .44 ruger. I’ve never owned a NF but picked up a 7-1/2” Flat Top .44 recently. I will fully admit to not being a big 44 magnum guy, so it will probably get shot with closer to 45 colt level loads or with some 44 special loads I have had luck with so far. My only mold is a 429421 Keith mold and it shoots well when I do my part.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

by Gunner @, St Louis, Saturday, October 05, 2024, 20:40 (10 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Not JT nor do I play him on TV ;-)

Not a 44 mag fan in the least bit BUT a 7 1/2" Ruger Flattop in 44 Mag is on my bucket list as in No. 2 position, Patton's SAA is No. 1, hey a guy can dream.

Growing up reading Skeeter Skelton and his stories involving said flattop is why it's on my list.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

I am not JT nor do I play him on TV. But ....

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, October 05, 2024, 22:57 (10 days ago) @ Gunner

I believe his answer will be, "Buy both!"

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Sample Size Of One...

by A K Church, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 00:09 (10 days ago) @ JimT

It's moved on, but my very average 1971 NF was a 7 1/2" .45. Blued, cased, maybe a 90% gun. Aftermarket grips. I mean, as NFs go, not special whatsoever.

It surprised me with how untemperamental it was. Never miked the chamber throats, or even moved the sights, it liked the 1st handload it was given, 8.5 Unique, some 250ish Lee plain base swc cast hard, and whatever case and primer was at hand. A smidge high at 25, and on at 50. I was an actual decent shot then.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 06:20 (10 days ago) @ Gunner

That was the mai reason I bought this flat top 44. And, I knew the seller from previous deals and his price just kept dropping and dropping to the point where I couldn’t say no! I e shot it a little with full power, Keith loads and it is not pleasant! I’m low on unique so I couldn’t try the standard Skeeter load, but I have shot it a decent bit with W231 in 44 special brass and it shoots well and is fun to shoot. And, it’s a very nicely made handgu with enough wear I ca shoot it and enjoy it without worrying about messing it up!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

by JT, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 12:35 (10 days ago) @ Slow Hand

When I did my first book the editor wanted to press me for my favorite sixgun. I only went as far as my favorite category which turned out to be a 7-1/2" .44 Single Action and saying I could be perfectly happy with either the Ruger flattop or the Colt new frontier. I pretty much shoot only specials now so either gun would serve me perfectly.

RSS Feed of thread