Cataracts

by A K Church, Monday, September 16, 2024, 08:39 (30 days ago)

Found out a week ago mine have progressed to the point where I need to the right eye fixed pretty soon, like less than a year. The left one is going to need it in the "next few" years.

I knew I had them for a couple years, but optometrist in 2022 suggested waiting 'till I was 65 so Medicare was in play. Now it is.

Question 1: How will this affect shooting. Right now dot sights are fuzzy blobs, and conventional scopes getting fuzzy...I mostly don't shoot because I can't hit a license plate at 50 yards on bad days.

2: Any other useful advice?

I just had both eyes done.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, September 16, 2024, 09:31 (30 days ago) @ A K Church

I started wearing glasses full time in APR64 being (probably) severely myopic. Within one week of each surgery, my distance vision is incredible though I will probably need a very mild correction. Close in work requires that I use cheaters. I haven't actually been shooting much due to other not-fun things taking a priority. Scopes are crystal clear without any correction. Haven't played with open sights or dots yet.

Expect 1-2 hours of prep for a 15 minute, painless surgery. Recovery has also been painless for me. Easily the best bit of doctoring that's ever been done to me!

Cataracts

by Brien @, NWArkansas, Monday, September 16, 2024, 09:38 (30 days ago) @ A K Church

I had my eyes done about 3 years ago. Everything is whiter and colors stand out more. The cataracts are yellow tinted. You have lens options. Standard is the least expensive and is set at one focal point. I opted to set it for driving without glasses. I do need to wear reading glasses, 1.25 or 1.5. Read up on the other options. Some people have trouble with the fancy lenses.
After a while you will need to have a laser treatment to zap a membrane. I waited too long on my right eye and it took a little longer for my vision to clear up. The left eye went quick and easy. Handguns with open sights I wear 1.25 reading glasses. Rifle peep sights and scopes work without any correction. One caution and this happened to me. After the surgery if you have a headache and start to feel sick at your stomach, get back to your doctor. It is a pressure build up in your eye and needs to be relieved. This is very rare.

My mother-in-law had the surgery...

by Paul ⌂, Monday, September 16, 2024, 09:53 (30 days ago) @ A K Church

a few years ago. They inserted different lenses into her eyes, one for up close, one for further away. I don't believe she's needed glasses since then. She's not a shooter so no help on that perspective, but if you qualify to have corrective lenses permanently installed it's well worth the time to investigate which one you want adjusted which way. My ophthalmologist checks my eyes for cataracts each visit (thrice yearly) and so far no big deal, surprising due to the exposure to the rays this close to the equator. But I'm in no rush to further complicate the vision equation. Glaucoma is bad enough by itself. Other folk I've talked with who've had the lenses inserted agree that it's well worth it.

Cataracts

by JohnKDM, Monday, September 16, 2024, 11:50 (30 days ago) @ A K Church

No personal experience, but several family members and friends have had this done. Every single one of them were happy and commented afterwards "I didn't realize how bad my eyesight was before..."

RSS Feed of thread