Not sure if this applies...

by Otony, Friday, January 12, 2024, 19:37 (114 days ago) @ Hoot

Not really. The Greener GP (General Purpose) was always single shot shotgun, built as a takedown and made right into the late 1970s. Production began sometime after WWI, and these were meant for the sort of work they were named for, General Purpose.

They were noted for having finely bored barrels that produced excellent patterns with an amazingly wide variety of shot sizes, even buckshot and slugs! Oftentimes built up specifically for use at the trap range, with ventilated rib and different stock configurations.

Towards the end of production Greener offered an adjustable choke, the exact design of which I can no longer recall clearly, but I believe it had externally threaded choke tubes.

These differ from the various police shotguns that Greener made, in that those were NOT take-down and of course those were also chambered for the odd, all brass, bottlenecked shells (I’m pretty sure I have a couple of those rounds still, I did own several of those abominations over the years).

The take-down feature is what truly differentiates these from military Martinis. Insofar as I can determine, none of the GPs were ever built as rifles, only shotguns. My only reason for mentioning lining the existing barrel to build a .577 Snider is that I have always been enthralled with the .50-70 Government cartridge, and the .577 is all that and a bag of chips! Plus it seems somewhat appropriate somehow, and believe or not, brass is relatively easy to come by, even in this day and age. I’ve always felt that huge chunks of lead at pedestrian velocities have a place in the natural order of things.

Otony

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread