I do have a steel bullet trap rated for rimfires.

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, November 12, 2023, 16:29 (188 days ago) @ Hoot

The problem with the steel traps is that they tend to be noisier. I like the simple cardboard box trap for the relatively quiet "PLOP" sound the pellet makes as compared to PLONK on a steel trap.

As for distance, much of my shooting is about 20-30 feet, down the hall, across our bedroom and into the trap set in front of the bathroom sink. That's the longest safe shot I can make through the house, and usually only done when my dear wife's at work. She's fine with me shooting in the house, I just don't like to distract her from her office stuff when she's home, and the door to her office is where I station myself or the 30 foot shots.

As for air pistols, they've really gone up in price. I've been drooling on the idea of an Air Arms Alfa Proj for over a decade now, but they've gone up from $600 or so to nearly twice that. For just a bit more you could get a Hammerli AP20 PRO. The Alfa is built in the Czech republic, the Hammerli in Germany. The Air Venturi V10 Match can be had for about $270. The Beeman P3 will set you back for just a bit more or you could pick up a Beeman P17 for less than $50. It's pretty much a chinese copy of the P3 and sells for considerably less. A few years ago there were a bunch of them purchased for under $30 by denizens of the GTA when there was a Black Friday type deal offered, and they developed a kind of cult following.

The first two above are PCP, which carries the need to also invest in an air supply. The others are all single stroke pneumatic which makes them pretty much self contained. They all give fairly inexpensive handgun practice platforms.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread