John KDM re your Ruger Mk I or II pistol.

by A K Church, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 19:11 (264 days ago)

The one where you recently posted a photo. Where did you get your extended magazine release?

Also, my quietest suppressor host is also my crudest and cheapest. It's a Keystone Arms Chipmunk pistol. Single shot bolt action pistol. Action is a very old school manual cocking, rebounding striker affair, with a 1930s style trigger. Trigger levers a self-sprung sear.

They come as a 10 inch fluted job, and I picked mine up new a few years back for $175 plus tax. No port pop since it's a fixed breech. I had it cut to 4.5", threaded 1/2x28, cut the stock back, had the muzzle threaded, and hung an early oughts used SIG dot sight on it with the proprietary mount and a Picatinny adapter..

These pistols are uncommon, but when they show up, they don't fetch much money.

With a Thunder Beast .22 Takedown suppressor, and CCI or Aguila std vel, I can achieve "Hollywood Quiet" much, but not all, the time.

The Chipmunk is an interesting little piglet in that, while it is well made, it maybe takes simplicity too far. You can polish engagement surfaces on the trigger, and smooth it, but pull weight sorta seems set in stone. The ergonomics are not well thought out, and the gun's grip is totally 100% for righthanders. It still shoots better than I can shoot it.

Not John but I had chips and salsa with him once...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 19:40 (264 days ago) @ A K Church

The mag release is an old accessory. Not sure they are around anymore? I want to say Majestic or something like that. I put one in a Mk II a bit of trouble as the hammer spring is used for the release. Nothing terribly bad.

Of course, if you were John, you'd just fire up the TIG...

Indeed we have, and looking forward to dining with you again

by JohnKDM, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 21:08 (264 days ago) @ Hoot

IIRC, it was a Majestic aftermarket part. Ended up not liking the original shape as the square corners tended to catch on stuff and pop the mag loose, but the mag catch spring kept it from falling free - nice, I guess, to prevent loss of the mag, but she don't don't feed when she is out of place by 1/4". Can also draw blood from your hand in a chest rig in certain situations.

Ended up rounding the corners and that solved those issues; will get a better pic. They are a bit aggravating to install as the mag release has a dedicated spring and pin that can be a booger to install until you learn to hold your mouth just right.

I bet a bolt action pistol would be quiet. I have not seen one like that around here. You can, while shooting two handed, place your left thumb on the back of the ruger bolt and it will turn it into a quiet manual repeater. Obviously doesn't scatter your brass about, if that is a concern.

https://majesticarms.com/product/extended-magazine-releases-for-mark-i-mark-ii-mark-iii...

No can as yet, but…..

by Otony, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 21:46 (264 days ago) @ A K Church
edited by Otony, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 21:50

Do you mean like this?[image]

No can as yet, but…..

by Boggus Deal, Friday, September 29, 2023, 18:01 (261 days ago) @ Otony

I recognize that grip!

No can as yet, but…..

by Otony, Friday, September 29, 2023, 20:50 (261 days ago) @ Boggus Deal

Ergo grip!

Otony

No can as yet, but…..

by Boggus Deal, Monday, October 02, 2023, 14:15 (258 days ago) @ Otony

I was involved in developing that one without the lip on the back.

OTONY

by A K Church, Saturday, October 07, 2023, 18:35 (253 days ago) @ Boggus Deal

1 Good to hear from you, missed you.

2 Yep, that's the pistol, all righty. Yours has the chassis, and I assume an AR15 pistol grip? Your ergonomics are far far better than the misshapen piece of plastic attached to mine.

3 Despite the agriculturally crude trigger, mine still shows me it can outshoot me.

4 Have looked to find a used chassis, as Keystone wants WAY too much for them. But so far no success.

5 The necessary arrangement for most optics is the factory rimfire base, and a rimfire to Picatinny adapter. Sounds ad-hoc, and it is, but it has actually worked pretty well for around 4 years.

6 My nephew has an unmodified laminated wood pistol, and with subsonic ammo and a suppressor, it's still darned quiet.

7 My email list was incompletely transferred at one point, so if you wish send me your EMail

"a k church at yahoo dot com"

you are welcone to do so.

RSS Feed of thread