Suburban Deer Hunting Challenges.....

by RayLee, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 08:20 (264 days ago)
edited by RayLee, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 08:23

I've been granted the opportunity to hunt on some small tracts and have asked about the neighbours for advice and experiences.....

The most popular seems to be bowhunting with drugged/poison arrows which also just happens to be illegal in our state.

Next is short barreled and suppressed AR types but they admit that there have been some running wounded deer embarrassments including one spurting blood and sprinting through a backyard birthday soiree into a swimming pool.

There are a few who have used their carry self-loaders on surprise targets of opportunity with varying outcomes ranging from a monster trophy that dropped in its tracks to felony arrests from misses and pass-throughs causing property damages and even tragedies.

But the one method I have not heard of in these neighbourhood(s) has been buckshot. Seems that in the same backyard situations, fifty to seventy feet, that area bowhunters experience..... at level from a blind or downward from a tree, buckshot should work as well or better. I have several ancient bolt-action and break-open fowling pieces that can riddle a pizza box at 40 paces with factory (equally ancient) buckshots.

Your thoughts/advices ?

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread