Cautionary tale about buying firearms from Midway.

by Jared, Monday, September 25, 2023, 23:07 (265 days ago)

I purchased a Cimarron 1851 Richards Mason 38 special from Midway about 6 months back. It was damaged by UPS in shipping.

I picked it up from my dealer and noticed the damage to the grips. We looked and found the puncture damage to the shipping box. I talked with him and I really didn’t want to send it back for the damage to the grips because they could be repaired or replaced, but I wanted UPS to compensate me for the damage.

I called midway the next morning and got a very rude customer service lady saying that there was nothing they could do since I accepted the revolver I couldn’t send it back…. I kept trying to tell her I didn’t want to send it back I wanted them to assist me in filing a damage claim with UPS since they were the shipper. I went round and round trying to get some help from midway but I kept getting the same it isn’t our problem.

UPS was little help because they kept telling me the shipper needed to file the claim. Finally after several weeks I got someone at UPS that said they could file the claim after a few more weeks I got a claim number saying it was approved and they just needed the shipper/midway to fill out a claim form. I had a claim number and UPS sent the information on to Midway. After another week or so I called my contact at UPS and they said midway never got back to them.

I called Midway and they transferred me up the chain and I got an extremely rude man that I ended up getting into a hollering match with. The end result is it was against their policy to help me file a damage claim on an item they shipped.

After 6+ weeks of this I filed a claim with my credit card company and they gave me a partial refund for the damage. My credit card company agent wanted me to file for a complete refund after seeing all the evidence I had against them but I only wanted $100 to replace the one piece grips. After a few days the credit card company awarded me the money for the damage.

Midway sent me an email saying my account was suspended and I could no longer place orders with them unless I refunded them the money my credit card company took from them.

I have been a customer of Midway for over 30 years and it isn’t unusual for me to spend 4 figures with them a year. Their customer service has gone completely down the toilet and I can’t recommend them for anything. About half of the last 10 or so packages I have received from them has had some sort of damage to the contents.

[image]

I inherited my stepdad's Rolex 8 years ago.

by A K Church, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 05:41 (265 days ago) @ Jared

Neat watch, but doesn't suit my lifestyle especially. 1991 Datejust Perpetual. The least valuable, most common Rolex, but still a fine watch. And it's unfashionably small.

My niece finished grad school last year. She's a psychologist now. I'd like to send her the Rolex. To me it's a neat watch, but to her it would be her GRANDFATHER'S watch. Plus she's working in a skirt and high heels type professional setting, and a high end watch would fit in perfectly. But I cannot trust any of the major carriers to get it there undamaged, or indeed not stolen.

And insurance is often useless-ask Miles Fortis.

As it is, I'm waiting for one of our sadly infrequent face-to-face meetings to hand it off to her.

Your posting reminds me of why I haven't sent the watch off to Atlanta.

I hate shipping anything anymore.

by Jared, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 06:17 (264 days ago) @ A K Church

It is absolutely crazy, I don’t blame you a bit for not wanting to ship the watch.

UPS stole a 100 year old Colt Army Special 32-20 that I bought through GunBroker about 5 years back. The seller didn’t want to refund my money even though I paid for insurance and I had to go through my card with that too.

Midway has horrible shipping and packaging practices. I have ordered a bulk order of bullet only to have them loosely placed in the box with room to move all around. By the time they arrived the bullets had broken out of their factory packaging and some had escaped through holes in the flimsy box midway sent them in. At least back then they sent me replacement bullets.

Midway...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 07:32 (264 days ago) @ Jared

We live about 60 miles south of Midway. But the collaborative sheltered workshops of UPS and Columbia Mo USPS can't send your Midway Nitro Express package due south; that might be racist. They route it to KCMO or St Louis. I had one that skipped around southern KS for weeks, then vanished from tracking. I raised hell with Midway until they re-shipped it.

The good news for me at least is that UPS and Fedex here are reliable. On the increasingly-rare occasions I order from Midway, I'll pay the extra two bucks to avoid my packages being routed through Planet of the Apes. I gladly pay 2-5 bucks more for powder and primers locally.

Midway...

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 08:09 (264 days ago) @ Sarge

We live about 60 miles south of Midway. But the collaborative sheltered workshops of UPS and Columbia Mo USPS can't send your Midway Nitro Express package due south; that might be racist. They route it to KCMO or St Louis. I had one that skipped around southern KS for weeks, then vanished from tracking. I raised hell with Midway until they re-shipped it.

The good news for me at least is that UPS and Fedex here are reliable. On the increasingly-rare occasions I order from Midway, I'll pay the extra two bucks to avoid my packages being routed through Planet of the Apes. I gladly pay 2-5 bucks more for powder and primers locally.

I am through with Midway also, Spent lot`s of money their way . It started about a year ago I was buying a thousand or more cci .22lr a month , they were well packaged All was find, then I received a box way bigger than was needed for 1500 .22`s with no packing material, half of the plastic box`s were broke and .22 ammo was loose in the box , I called was assured that it would not happen again, Well it did 3 more times. :-( I think Larry sold Midway and the new owner`s don`t care , It`s all about the Buck`s

Midway...

by Jared, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:34 (264 days ago) @ Fivegunner

I have experienced the same thing with several bullet orders from midway. On one of them the replacements were spilled out and some lost. The customer service guy told me “ I’ll ship them one more time but that is it…” I told him “ if you packaged them correctly once would have been enough”

The 3rd box was packaged the same way but at least it finally arrived intact.

Midway...

by Jared, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:31 (264 days ago) @ Sarge

Shipping in general is a nightmare. I could write several pages of bad shipping stories. I sent 5 pages of important documents to Florida earlier in the month. Priority signature required. $14 and change. It took 8 days before it was delivered.

Just like Africa!

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:49 (264 days ago) @ Jared

I had 2 8x10 sheets of paper (signed documents) overnighted from the US to Mozambique. DHL Cost $125.00 in 2010. Took 2 weeks to arrive. I did not expect it overnight as it takes 17 hours from Atlanta to Johannesburg and then 3 more hours flying to where we were. But two weeks? -sigh- I was just happy they made it.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Not just firearms, but parts too...

by DMann, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:10 (264 days ago) @ Jared

I had ordered a carbon steel XR#-RED gripframe for a project - tracking info showed it had been picked up by UPS, then nothing for weeks.

Last week a damaged parcel was delivered by the US Postal Service - the trigger I ordered was in there, but the grip frame had been removed - the padded shipping envelope had been cut and the Ziploc bag the grip frame was in, was left behind.

Midway Customer Service was polite and credited my account without further discussion - also told me the part was out-of-stock so no replacement.

Bowen will NOT use UPS for these same reasons. FEDEX is not much better. On the other hand, USPS seems to be reliable - go figure.

Doug Mann

I would never use UPS. I have a FedEx shipping account

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:22 (264 days ago) @ DMann

and so far I have had no issues. Not that I do it very often. But I had real issues with UPS trying to ship or receive a shipment without it being stolen.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I would never use UPS. I have a FedEx shipping account

by Jared, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:37 (264 days ago) @ JimT

Same here on UPS.

A while back I had them refuse to ship a scope to Leupold for repairs. The guy saw Leupold on the address and he said since it is gun parts he wouldn’t ship it. I went to the Fed Ex next door and shipped it. I haven’t sent anything UPS since.

Not just firearms, but parts too...

by Jared, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 09:35 (264 days ago) @ DMann

USPS is pretty good here but occasionally stuff goes in limbo or missing all together.

We had a really good Fed Ex driver. HAD being the key word.

I've had problems from all and zippity-do-da good and rapid

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, September 26, 2023, 18:16 (264 days ago) @ Jared

delivery from all.

Commercially the FEDEX delivery guys are now the rudest, all contractors. I think that our delivery problems are just one expression of the general dysfunction of our society post-pandemic. I see absolutely rotten service in all areas as well as good people trying to do their best for every customer. It sure is a mixed bag.

I had not heard that MidwayUSA was sold, is this so? Dang. Of course Larry, like the rest of us, isn't going to be around forever. I'd hate to think how much money I've spent at Midway over the years.

PS - I can say that I have had absolutely wonderful service and delivery from Choate Machine and Tool, Bellms TCs, SSK, Haus of Arms, and Amazon in the past 2 weeks.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Boggus Deal, Friday, September 29, 2023, 18:05 (261 days ago) @ Jared

Ask Tony Aman about the ACP brass I sent him a few years back…

by Jared, Saturday, October 07, 2023, 10:51 (253 days ago) @ Boggus Deal

He told me about that the other day. It is crazy.

RSS Feed of thread