Amigo Mike hauled out a near new Charter Bulldog.

by A K Church, Sunday, September 17, 2023, 15:20 (368 days ago)

The original Charter company, and the original 3" barrel blued variety. I'd guess 70s or 80s.

It was better made than memory told me, and lockup was quite good. We ran some 650 ft/sec cast stuff through it, and it was a handful even with those reduced loads. This had the fuller factory wood grips, which I recall also being called Bulldogs. Single action was good, double action was stiff and kinda stage-y.

It cured me of any desire to own one.

We have several charters....

by RayLee, Sunday, September 17, 2023, 17:37 (368 days ago) @ A K Church

in the family. I really would like that .32 "undercoverette" back in custody as I bought a set of old banana peels specifically for it. I tried those slim grips and a banarmi(spelling?) hip grip(s) on my stainless bulldog and quickly returned the oversized rubbers that came with it. My son's blued bulldog will put a five gallon bucket out of its misery with all five of a cylinder at a full 120 paces by elevating the front sight.

Barami, I believe.

by A K Church, Sunday, September 17, 2023, 19:33 (368 days ago) @ RayLee

I see a similar thing is being sold by DeSantis. Nice to know he has a backup plan after his term as Governor ends.

I finally got one a few years back.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Monday, September 18, 2023, 06:39 (368 days ago) @ A K Church

I like it with Silver Tips. REALLY handy if carrying with a shot load which is really effective for a handgun shot load. Same holster as the DS or SP101. The shot load makes it a little more versatile than my LW Officers .45 ACP but just as easy to wear all day. I prefer the old style big wood stocks which really aren't bulky but give me (AVERAGE size hand) something to comfortably hold on to.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I bought a new Classic Bulldog about a year ago

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, September 20, 2023, 15:58 (365 days ago) @ A K Church

Old style with wood grips and 3-inch barrel and blued finish. After the first range session I put a set of Pachmayers on it. Instant relief. Mine shoots the Lee 240 grain Tumble Lube SWC over 5 grains of Bullseye dead on and it will ring the 50-yard gong with careful aiming and trigger control.

Hold dead on the gong at fifty from a rest and make music. This load chronographs around 730 or so fps IIRC. It is sighted from the factory for the 240-grain bullet. 200's and 180's shot so low I was going to have to file the front sight way down.

I need to send it back to the factory. It has a 15 thousandths cylinder gap when I pull it to the rear. Doesn't spit lead. Seems the cylinder is spring loaded and it normally rests against the barrel. If I push the cylinder against the barrel then I have 15 thousandths headspace.

I wonder upon firing everything just equalizes e.g. cartridge case grabs the cylinder wall and pulls the cylinder rearward as the bullet is exiting the cylinder throat.

Bob

I've oned more than a dozen Bullsdogs. They need some

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 21, 2023, 00:21 (365 days ago) @ A K Church

attention to smooth up This old Bridgeport built 3" I bought from Honest Arm is the best of the lot. a friend has a Bridgeport marked Stainless 3" with stainless frame it is probably the apex of Charter Arms work.[image] shown with a TR M21 and a surf N turf m(shark N beef hide) pancake.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I wrecked one in about 5 shots with heavy Keith loads.

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, September 21, 2023, 06:43 (365 days ago) @ A K Church

Kinda stretched the frame a little too much.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

RSS Feed of thread