Elmer wrote of gunmen carrying Colt SAs without barrels

by JohnKDM, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 19:47 (277 days ago)

in specially prepared coat pockets. Anyone try it? I did, while I had the barrel off my 480A for rust bluing. Fired a cylinder full (with some trepidation) and when everything looked fine - no frame thread damage - I loaded up five more and fired them at a sheet of plywood at seven yards with a video camera running. Of course, with no front sight it was a case of 'look over the topstrap' but it worked surprisingly well.

From the pics, you can see one slug tipped and two of the 290gr slugs landed sideways... and yet, the group would be quite effective at the usual social distance. Later, I chrono'd these and they ran 650fps instead of 900fps with the 4.75" barrel.

https://youtu.be/ftJ7gLMp6fc

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

I did that with my old 1st Generation Colt .45

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 20:06 (277 days ago) @ JohnKDM

Made in 1887. I was cleaning it up and rebarreling it and when I had the barrel off I thought of what Elmer wrote so like you did, I fired some loads through it. The black powder loads were especially vicious. Lots of flame and smoke. If you were face to face with someone and let one of those go they got hit with a flamethrower.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

...and produced a nice smokescreen to cover your escape.

by JohnKDM, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 20:27 (277 days ago) @ JimT

Which brings up another point - once the fight started, multiple shots fired from BP handguns ought to cloud up a bar. No telling who would get shot during a second exchange?

Reminds me of the piano player in El Dorado.

by JohnKDM, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 20:28 (277 days ago) @ JohnKDM

By the way .. that 480 of yours really came out nicely!

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 20:08 (277 days ago) @ JohnKDM

You did a great job and with Tedd's stocks on it really looks good.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

It did! I appreciate your help with it and the grips

by JohnKDM, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 20:20 (277 days ago) @ JimT

from Tedd A. were an unexpected bonus. They were likely some of the last he made.

BTW, the 900fps load penetrated all six gallon jugs of water shown in one of those pics.

John K.

I don't doubt it did penetrate them!

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 20:25 (277 days ago) @ JohnKDM

And yes, I think that was one of the last set Tedd made.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

John thanks for posting!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, September 20, 2023, 20:54 (271 days ago) @ JohnKDM

Cool stuff. The .480 Achilles has always fascinated me. What men might have done o customize a firearm to suit their needs is always interesting.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread