Roll Call of the old timers ?

by cable, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 10:47 (373 days ago)

hearing about Don Sikes makes me wonder how many and who of the long timers are still around. i am always pleased when i see a post by AK Church, Hoot, or Jim Taylor etc i dont have much to say, but i sure enjoy reading what others say on a daily basis.

i think i first 'joined the campfire' in 1999, maybe a little earlier.

think we should have a roll call or would it be depressing or morbid?

I don't think it morbid.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 11:11 (373 days ago) @ cable

I appreciate your noting me in your post. I honestly don't know when I showed up. It was two or three boards ago. I've met a very large number of folks due to this forum. Folks who have changed my life. There is another large number whom I know only cybernetically but I still consider them friends.

I am still here...

by Brian A, Michigan, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 11:36 (373 days ago) @ cable

I rarely ever log in, but check in every few days. Don't know when I started hanging around but it has been since the '90s anyhow. Have been a bit more engaged on the facebook version the last few years.

by brionic @, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 11:39 (373 days ago) @ cable
edited by brionic, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 10:18

I know I'm getting old, but I'm not sure I qualify as an oldtimer.

I joined up sometime around '99 or 2000 and still keep in touch with a fair number of the old guard, many of whom l consider true friends. I have learned so much from the gang here (and there, and everywhere) and laughed so hard at so many of the jokes and anecdotes.

It breaks my heart to think of missing friends - Don, and Pete, and Tom, Jeff, John, Terry, Miss Beth... and on and on the ever longer list goes...we've all suffered... but I am grateful for every bit of wisdom and tomfoolery shared and passed around by this conglomerate of enthusiasts and oddballs. Mostly, I'm thankful for being welcomed into the fold with a hot bowl of Tom's chili and a big dollop of Jeffs HOT sauce. Laughing through tears is a rite of passage.

by Gunner @, St Louis, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 12:33 (373 days ago) @ cable

I signed up for JimT's Sixgunner forum a few months after he started it, wanna say 95' or 96'. I miss the old Saturday night chat room with everyone, always looked forward to that.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

That was a always a good time. Even when trolls were out

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 13:06 (373 days ago) @ Gunner

I remember there was someone pretending to be a lady who was po'ed at me for something. They kept posting "Jim Taylor has a small d--ck." I finally said, "Lady, we obviously have been intimate, but for the life of me I cannot remember you!"

I laughed so hard I nearly fell out of my chair.

And they disappeared.

I have often wondered if perhaps I hit on the truth? :-D

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Unsure when I started posting, but it was well before 2000.

by JohnKDM, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 16:10 (373 days ago) @ cable

There was Doc Hudson's Q&A page, Earp.com, and everything eventually coalesced into Jim Taylor's Sixgunner page. Our first CSA gathering was Labor Day, 2000, in MS. Rather hot, and the low tin overhead at the range radiated heat like an oven.

It was grand!

I was recounting that experience recently; it was really strange to be in the midst of dozens of people you have known for several years, but do not recognize since you have not met face to face.

John K.

Indeed!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 18:09 (373 days ago) @ JohnKDM

Miss Beth was slack jawed when she asked, "Wait, you want to go to Arkansas to meet people from the internet??"

by Boggus Deal, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 17:25 (373 days ago) @ cable

I’ll likely be here more since leaving Feces book. Been around since 2000-2001. Travis

Hey-ya!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 18:10 (373 days ago) @ Boggus Deal

Got a question....check your e-mail.

I vaguely remember.......

by RayLee, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 19:02 (373 days ago) @ Boggus Deal

getting caught with ill fitting earplugs on the firing line of a range between two brothers from down lagrange way. The elder of the two to my right was shooting a fixed-sighted n-frame that stepped on my last nerve. I'm not sure exactly just what future crisis I was saving that last nerve for but it was too late. To my left was the younger brother firing a model 19 as fast as you could imagine henry fitzgerald shooting, reloading as rapidly as jerry miculek.....

[image]

That was a great time! (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 19:35 (373 days ago) @ RayLee

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I vaguely remember.......

by Boggus Deal, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 12:22 (372 days ago) @ RayLee

Usually, it’s women I get on their nerves…

I used to be a young punk on here…

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 18:13 (373 days ago) @ cable

But now I guess I could be an old timer!

I don’t remember when I got on here but it would mostly likely be during my watchmaking school days so 95-99? I know I had become good enough friends with a few on here that I mailed out wedding invites back in 2004. Two of those gentlemen are not with us anymore. The first time I ever met AK Church face to face was when I picked him up for my wedding! That was an interesting thing to try to explain to my parents!

I have been lucky enough to meet several of the fine folks on here at Cannon Watts’ annual shoot, which I guess came from my not very well put together get together. I put forth the idea that a few of us get together at a local range and ole Dan and Renita drive down from Ft Wayne and Cannon and Gunner drove over from the St Louis area. The range wasn’t great but it was a good time and Cannon offered up his family farm for the next shoot and it’s grown into a great weekend where I’ve had the pleasure of meeting even more Sixgunners. One day (soon) I need to get down to a CSA shoot and put even more faces to names.

Glad you guys have put up with me for all these years!

Doug K

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Yep, same.

by cas, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 19:03 (373 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Time is flying.

I’ve been around awhile

by Otony, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 19:06 (373 days ago) @ cable

Not exactly sure when I showed up, it was either 1998 or 1999.

I’ve been blessed to meet quite a few of you folks, those from the western states. Never attended CSA or the events in Arizona, though I have wanted to dearly. One of the greatest pleasures of my life was driving over to Idaho for John Taffin’s banquet! What an experience, a night of true camaraderie. I will NEVER forget when a bunch of us realized to our astonishment that not only had we closed the hotel lobby bar, we hadn’t even noticed the bartender slip away!

I’ve been sorrowed to see the passing of too many of us, both internet friends and tangible friends. There are too many that have slipped by the wayside as well, Cazador (Bill) and I used to chew the fat till we were both plum wore out. Now I’m embarrassed to say I’ve lost touch, no idea of his status. He was in poor health last I knew, sigh.

So many memories, and as we all know, those memories become increasingly more precious because they slowly dwindle and are lost. Memory Eternal is well meant and heartfelt but at a certain point who is left to remember?

Hold fast gentlemen, hold fast

Otony

I don't remember...

by pokynojoe, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 20:10 (373 days ago) @ cable

Could have been yesterday, could have been years ago. I'm hoping they find a cure for this.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 21:53 (373 days ago) @ cable
edited by Sarge, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 21:56

Still here, still kicking, still married to the same pretty redhead.

I knew nothing of the internet until a co-worker sat me down at his computer in 1998. He deemed it 'the encyclopedia of everything' and asked me to name any topic I was interested in.

"Single Action Revolvers" I said. And that's how y'all got stuck with me.

Not as old as some, sadly there are more and more

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 22:09 (373 days ago) @ cable

from all my groups online or in person who are going ahead of me.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Jared, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 22:34 (373 days ago) @ cable

I am still here despite their best efforts. I started posting around 1997 or 1998.

This is the first site I hit every day for 20+ years now.

by Murphy @, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 22:50 (373 days ago) @ cable

I can't even begin to recall all the names and 'Handles'. All I do remember is, I had hair back then. It's just a guess, but I'm thinking it was around 1998-1999 when I signed on.

On the serious side, I couldn't have found a better group of men and women to call friends.

Murphy

Present…, sporadically.

by DMann, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 23:02 (373 days ago) @ cable

Ventured off into various black guns for a while but have been returning to my roots. Besides, revolvers and lever actions just seem more curmudgeonly.

Doug Mann

by jgt, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 07:27 (373 days ago) @ cable

I still come here daily. Hung out a year or two before officially joining.

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 10:25 (372 days ago) @ cable

I'm still around. I was about 50 or 51 when I can to the forum. I'll be 73 next month & I still enjoy this place. Thank you Jim Taylor for all you have done & the rest of you for the ink.

I can't actually recall precisely when I first signed in

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 14:26 (372 days ago) @ cable

1999 or a bit earlier is as close as I can make it.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

I don't remember exactly when I joined, but it's a while..

by JD, Western Washington, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 15:55 (372 days ago) @ cable

Such a great group of true gentlemen with such a wealth of knowledge that they are willing to share!!!!

by Brien @, NWArkansas, Wednesday, September 13, 2023, 21:05 (372 days ago) @ cable

I know I have been around here since before 2007 but not before that. I check things out at least once a day. But don't have much to say.

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, September 14, 2023, 07:23 (372 days ago) @ cable

I am still here, Frank McClelland AKA fivegunner

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 13:20 (371 days ago) @ cable

Been on here since 98 or 97, it was when Jim Taylor was the main honcho. This site sure cost me a lot of money over the years, and priceless friendships.

Dave

by Frank S, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 13:40 (371 days ago) @ cable

Been on here a good bit.
Gotta be at least 20 years.

by JFreeman, Thursday, September 14, 2023, 22:10 (371 days ago) @ cable

I believe I started posting on Sixgunner in 1999.

The resulting rewards cant be understated.

Started somewhere in the mid to late 90's.

by Jimmy P., Florida Panhandle, Friday, September 15, 2023, 21:24 (370 days ago) @ cable

I still check in fairly regular, I just don't post very often. I made the comment once that this internet thing is a two edged sword. I've met some great folks that I otherwise wouldn't have, some of which I consider as close as family.

RSS Feed of thread