How many rounds to load for testing…

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 16:27 (379 days ago)

So, curious question. If you are ‘working up a load’ how many rounds of each load do you load up for a range trip. I know that will vary depending upon the situation. I was lucky enough a couple decades ago to be able to shoot several hundred yards from my loading bench. Back the;it was nothing to load up 3-10 rounds and take over and try out. Now, I am about 15 minutes from a ‘pistol’ range and close to an hour from my rifle range.

I figure I’m a pretty crappy shot, so if I’m looking for real accuracy I will load up probably 20 rounds to give me several 5 shot groups. Sometimes if it’s a bot more serious like trying to get a hunting load, close to h8nting season, I may load up to 30 or 50 rounds to shoot groups and ha= enough ammo to sight in and test at various ranges.

I’m curious of your guys’ setups and theories as far as how many rounds you load up for a range trip, all things considered…

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I usually try to take more than I need or will use.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 17:28 (379 days ago) @ Slow Hand

You never know what you will run into or end up doing. If it's a brand-new loading that I have never loaded before I always shoot some in the shop or out in the yard, shooting into something that I can recover the bullets from. Let's me check the fired cases etc. before going to the range.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I normally work in batches of 50

by JT, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 20:33 (379 days ago) @ Slow Hand

How many rounds to load for testing… Hmmmmmm...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 22:25 (379 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I load this way:

1. What cartridge?
2. What firearm?
3. What application?
4. Pick bullet.
5. Pick a powder, preferably an available one.
6. Find load. Start with starting load and 1 each up to desired velocity.
7. Shoot.
8. No problems. Then 5-10.
9. Check accuracy. If sufficient to application...
10. Load up every darn on hand case.
11. Apply and or practice with loads.
12. Repeat #10.

Some are old standards. 2.7 BE with .38 Spec WCs, etc... Cans full Been shooting lots of .22 on 5.5" bull at 25 yards lately.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Depends…

by Gunner @, St Louis, Thursday, September 07, 2023, 09:52 (379 days ago) @ Slow Hand

On several factors......first off hunting rifles I do 3 shot groups, handguns normally 5 shot groups, same with AR rifles.

Hunting rifle 9-12 rounds per load for testing, handgun/AR 20-25 rounds per load. Now comes the factoring......been shooting a lot recently??? Then you can limit the amount safely. Only handguns recently but now testing a rifle, make more. Driving a long distance to shoot, make a LOT more, don't want to waste the trip.

Example.....years back I bought a Ruger 77 MKII RL in .243, read John Barsness article on his favorite rifle loads, his 243 loads was max but shot lights out. I loaded 12 rounds each of 3,2,1 grains less than his favorite, which shot great. I set up a solid bench and rest with a sandbag, took my time and took breaks between groups to cool the barrel and rest myself so I didn't get crappy results and tried to be smooth and fresh for each grouping. Have seen too many people over the years rush during group shooting to only have to load more and go back the next weekend.

Bonus for extra rounds for testing is extra rounds for shooting, gotta keep it fun and interesting or it becomes work.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

RSS Feed of thread