Probably dumb '94 Winchester question...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 05, 2023, 09:36 (295 days ago)

Pretty much all my levers are Marlins so I don't know much about Winchesters. I inherited a 1954 '94 from Dad and fixed a couple of simple issues and cleaned it up some. It is not a collector piece at all having a new-ish buttstock and kind of a Parkerized finish. I figure on getting it running and then probably give it to one of the grandkids.

Anyway, I loaded up some cast bullets and they chambered with a bit of a hitch right at the top of the lever stroke. I then grabbed some jacketed examples thinking the throat might not care for the cast (haven't done a chamber cast yet) and the jacketed numbers do the same thing. It occurs when the extractor snaps over the rim. Everything extracts just fine. Is this just the way it's supposed to work? Not too concerned, just trying to sort out any trouble at the beginning.

Thanks!

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, September 05, 2023, 16:31 (295 days ago) @ Hoot

Are you running it "at speed", or carefully running it, slowly? I seem to remember that it feels very different when running it slowly vs "normal" (which is actually just a setting on the dryer). But that's going from memory.

I know they have to be run briskly.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 05, 2023, 18:10 (295 days ago) @ Paul
edited by Hoot, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 07:51

I wasn't doing that because I was trying to cypher out any other issues. I really don't think it's an issue unless someone says different. Just noted on a somewhat unfamiliar arm.

by RayLee, Tuesday, September 05, 2023, 21:37 (295 days ago) @ Hoot

I have a .32 from the same era that runs smoothly with two different brands of factory ammo but exhibits exactly what you describe with my own loads, both with new and fired brass regardless of degree of sizing. Why ? Dunno, but as long as it goes completely into battery as they say.....

What is "factory ammo"?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 09:25 (294 days ago) @ RayLee

Sorry, just being a wise-acre. I actually do have a little here but it confused me when I could find no reloading data on the box so I had to add a label which says, "FACTORY". I don't think there's any .30-30 in the pile though.

All my ammo is factory. My factory. :) (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 14:01 (294 days ago) @ Hoot

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Yessir! :) (nt)

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, September 06, 2023, 14:48 (294 days ago) @ JimT

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Tuesday, September 12, 2023, 10:00 (288 days ago) @ Hoot

I have a 1964 model which does the same but only with cast bullets [RCBS 30-180-FN]. If I seat the bullet to the crimp groove it engages the rifling. Not much throat in my rifle.

Thanks Lynn.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, September 18, 2023, 14:31 (282 days ago) @ Creeker

I shot it for the first time this weekend with two different commercial cast bullets. One had a bit of a hitch like I described the other, not so much. Both bullets shot well but slightly low (easily corrected) and slightly left (hammer and brass punch were 150 miles away....sigh). Overall, I am pleased and will probably get it in the woods this fall doing what it's supposed to do.

(hammer and brass punch were 150 miles away....sigh)

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, September 18, 2023, 15:28 (282 days ago) @ Hoot

Can almost feel your pain.

RSS Feed of thread