What I learned today.

by A K Church, Saturday, August 19, 2023, 18:05 (397 days ago)
edited by A K Church, Saturday, August 19, 2023, 19:03

Amigo glommed onto a Ruger...I think they're called the ".22/.45 Mark III". Anyway the polymer gripframe .22/.45 with the cheeseball molded-in faux 1911 grips, and the Mark I/II style takedown with the lever detachable mainspring housing.

I entered the equation because I (1) Have suppressors, and (2) have suppressor appropriate ammo. His bull barreled gun was cut to 4" outside the factory, and threaded. Exactly what I would do.

In firing it, we noticed the bolt stayed back after the last round on some magazines, but not others. Then I noticed some magazines had the follower button on the left side, and some on the right. Can't do that on my Mk II, the magazine won't go in unless the follower button is correctly positioned. Not so this popper.

IF the follower buttons are on the left side, on all 4 magazines, the bolt stays open on the last round. If they're on the right, the magazines go in, feed, but don't hold it open on the last round. Can't figure out why, but with his gun and these 4 magazines, it was consistent.

BTW, it shot better than I am able to shoot it, ran flawlessly while quite dirty and loaded with old Remington subsonics, and is quiet with a decent can. The sights arrived zeroed for my eyes with Aguila subsonic .22LR.

The last round bolt holdopen button on his is as stiff as it can be, annoyingly.

What I learned today.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, August 19, 2023, 18:30 (397 days ago) @ A K Church

I have a MkIII 22/45 LITE. Same frame but with wood grippystocks and a mostly aluminum upper end. Threaded barrel. I out a small cheap red dot on it and it is a lot of fun. I shoot it probably 97% suppressed. I bought some magazines from CDNN. Advertised as ‘factory manufacturer’. That was a lie. I think I bought four and they all randomly misfeed…. I recently put a Volquartsen action kit in it which makes the trigger much better and also removes the magazine disconnect. I also dumped the bolt stop detent ball and spring so it’s much easier to drop the bolt on a loaded mag and it will ‘slingshot’ about 75% of the time. It’s a very fun now to shoot.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

What I learned today.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, August 19, 2023, 18:35 (397 days ago) @ Slow Hand

[image]

I keep meaning to cut the scope base down to just the rear two holes just to make it look a little cleaner.

--

What I learned today.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, August 19, 2023, 18:38 (397 days ago) @ Slow Hand

And yes, I made the holster to fit with the can attached, although Ive never carried it that way other than range trips.

[image]

--

You used to make quite nice leather holsters.

by A K Church, Saturday, August 19, 2023, 19:05 (397 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Now you make quite nice Kydex.

The mag buttons are reversible.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, August 20, 2023, 07:39 (397 days ago) @ A K Church

I routinely take my mags apart ("routinely" as in every 2 or 6 years) and have mistakenly put them in backwards.

by A K Church, Sunday, August 20, 2023, 09:06 (397 days ago) @ Hoot

If I had just asked you first...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, August 20, 2023, 17:19 (396 days ago) @ A K Church

If I remember right, from having my last MkI, they had the thumb button on the opposite side. All later versions were flipped. So, if you buy mags from River, they are setup to use on either side.

--

by A K Church, Sunday, August 20, 2023, 17:32 (396 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Best I recall on Standard/Mk I series, the stamping dies for the grip frame wore out maybe around 1971, having been used hard since '48. The new stamping dies moved the channel for the follower button to the left, where it had been on the right before.

They used that arrangement until the series was discontinued around '81.

No idea why they did that. I had a beater pig of a 1968 Standard I rebuilt when I worked at the gunsmith shop. It had the follower button channel on the right. I had no idea you could convert Mk II magazines into the earlier pre changeover style, so I only had two magazines for it.

Oh, and a Heiser holster...

That was "the rig".

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, August 20, 2023, 18:05 (396 days ago) @ A K Church

There was also an issue of the size of the mag buttons...later being larger. I disremember at the moment but I think, in this case, size doesn't matter and that they only enlarged it to make for easier reloads.

That was "the rig".

by A K Church, Monday, August 21, 2023, 10:17 (396 days ago) @ Hoot

This was a 2000 pistol. Some references call it a "22/45 Mk II". No loaded chamber indicator or magazine safety, for example. So I guess it would be considered "early" as they started making them in 1995.

Interesting in that it has bounced around my circle of amigos for 10 years, anyway. It was acquired at a gun show, and we have no idea who threaded the barrel, or how long the barrel was. But the work was done decently.

The very second handgun I ever purchased was a 1998 22/45.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, August 21, 2023, 11:26 (396 days ago) @ A K Church

It was to serve as an understudy to my only other handgun, a Springfield 1911-A1. I picked it up used in '99 for the princely sum of $160 cash money. Much later, it was 'sacrificed' to build a lightweight for Melodie when she broke her wrist. I still have the receiver but no lower bits to make it run.

RSS Feed of thread