Picked up the ‘51 Navy last night

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 05:51 (415 days ago)

It’s a neat one for sure. I’m looking forward to shooting it but it might need some tuning up beforehand. The hammer spring is very strong. I’ve got plenty of hand strength but this thing is a bear to pull back! Also, the cylinder seems to over-rotate at times. I’ll have to do some research and see what might be causing that. The bolt sure seems to pop up with authority, maybe just a hair too late. After cocking it, you can rotate the cylinder backwards just a hair and it locks into place just fine but it won’t work for ‘normal’ shooting speed. I pulled the barrel off last night and looked into the chambers and at the nipples and I’m positive it’s not been fired! Pretty neat for a ca. 1963 revolver!

[image]

[image]

[image]

It has some nice colors and I’m happy the rear sight notch is already squared up. That’s one thing I won’t have to do!

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Navy Arms? Replica Arms?

by A K Church, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 06:18 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand
edited by A K Church, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 18:50

Get the probably minor mechanical issues fixed, and it's a nifty-keeno 60 year old revolver.

Assume it's a Uberti? I know in the early 60s at least one Belgian outfit was making 1860 replicas (Centaure), but never heard of them making 1851s.

Navy Arms? Replica Arms?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 08:05 (415 days ago) @ A K Church

Navy Arms. I am somehow Facebook friends with Val Forgett II and so I sent him some pictures last night. Just thought he might get a kick out of seeing one of his dads early imports.

[image]

If it's made by Uberti it should have their trademark

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 06:50 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

My 1848 3rd Model Dragoon has it on the bottom of the barrel under the loading lever and on the bottom of the frame just ahead of the trigger guard.

[image]

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

If it's made by Uberti it should have their trademark

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 08:03 (415 days ago) @ JimT

It is an Uberti but it might predate that logo! I didn’t get a picture but on the bottom of the barrel it’s marked Uberti Gardone. It was listed as a Gregoreli and Uberti.

--

Ah ... OK .. thanks. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 11:04 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Mucho bonito!

by Paul ⌂, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 09:47 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Lovely little piece of replica history you've got there. The cylinder engraving looks quite deep in comparison to most you see. I'm looking forward to seeing how you smooth it up and shoot it!

by JT, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 09:56 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

UBERTI, PIETTA, ASM

[image]

FAVORITE .36 LOAD

[image]

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 10:43 (415 days ago) @ JT

I wish mine had a taller sight like your three do.

I don’t have any triple 7, but I have a couple kinds of black and sone pyrodex P

--

by JT, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 11:36 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

THOSE ARE REMINGTON FRONT SIGHTS INSTALLED BY MILT MORRISON FOR ME. NEED TO BE FILED IN FOR ELEVATION.

Ball vs Conical?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 14:04 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

We don’t have a lot of ML stuff a cool ally so I’ll probably buy a few boxes of round balls but I generally cast most everything I about if I can. Any preference for balls over conical? Molds looks to be about $33 each and round balls run from $8-13/100, so I figure a mold will pay for itself pretty easily.

--

I like the round ball in my .36's. Cast my own.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 18:06 (414 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I like the paper cartridges. Makes range time easier, more shooting for the time spent. Use a good capping tool and that speeds up loading time also.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Ball vs Conical?

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, August 03, 2023, 08:06 (414 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Years ago I experimented with the Ruger Old Army using conicals. The Lee mold for the ROA casts a decent projectile that's not too long and gave good results. I've not tried them in any other type of sixgun though. IIRC Elmer Keith preferred the round ball over the conical due to the conicals of the day penetrating without doing much damage - or maybe I'm misremembering that bit. Anyway, there's a lot to be said for the round ball in a cap and ball sixgun. I'd not get as creative with the Colt style open top resolvers, but in a soli frame you'd be amazed what the old smoke generators can do. Another upside of the ball loads is that you save lead over the conical. Unless you're hunting something that needs more penetration, saving lead's a good thing!

CONICALS

by JT, Thursday, August 03, 2023, 08:34 (414 days ago) @ Slow Hand

[image][image][image][image][image]

CONICAL BULLET WEIGHTS

by JT, Thursday, August 03, 2023, 08:50 (414 days ago) @ JT

.36 COLT CTG, 126; .36 RICHMOND,145; .36 KAIDO, 145;

.44 JOHNSTON & DOW, 220; .44 DRAGOON, 260; .44 KERR,222; LEE RN .44, 200; RUGER #456-220CM, 224; KAIDO .44, 220;

.31 BABY DRAGOON, 80

SOME LOAD EASILY; SMOE VERY DIFFICULT.

Eras Gone has some nice videos and moulds for sale.

by JohnKDM, Friday, August 04, 2023, 19:38 (412 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Https://www.erasgonebullets.com

I have a dual cavity Kerr from him for my 1860 Army. Good videos on YT also.

[image]

[image]

Eras Gone has some nice videos and moulds for sale.

by JT, Saturday, August 05, 2023, 17:09 (411 days ago) @ JohnKDM

I HAVE ALL OF THEIRS--GOOD STUFF!

RSS Feed of thread