Friend John Killebrew sent me some bullets awhile back ....

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, August 01, 2023, 12:19 (415 days ago)

and I have been playing with them from time to time. Got out to the Range today and ran some through a couple 1911's.

230 gr. cast .45 ACP Bullets
[image]

[image]

[image]

I used my old ATI 1911 and the Shootists Ruger SR1911 with 2 different powder charges ..
9.0 gr. Blue Dot and 10.6 gr. Blue Dot. The 10.6 gr. load is stout and makes the old 1911 recoil a bit. Out of my ATI they average 1034 fps.

I fired several groups with each load and each gun ... these targets are about average.

ATI

[image]

[image]

RUGER

[image]

[image]

Recoil

[image]

[image]

I am sure a lot of the heavy load downrange would beat the guns up a bit. I am not using them for practice. They are saved for use during the Zombie Apocalypse.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

To quote dean grennell.....

by RayLee, Tuesday, August 01, 2023, 19:04 (415 days ago) @ JimT

quoting someone else opining on a projectile profile, "now that is a bulletty looking bullet!"..... which I took to mean it looked like it would do the job intended.

I use a very similar product from missouri bullets.....

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/product/productId/22419

But use "softball" load levels in case one happens into a percussion conversion cyl.

by Catoosa, Tuesday, August 01, 2023, 20:24 (415 days ago) @ JimT

I use that bullet in my .45s and like it a lot. Hornady used to load a FMJ bullet with that same profile in some of their factory ammo. It was great stuff, but I have not seen any in several years. Wish they still made it.

In the 80s I loaded thousands of those Hornady FMJs Col

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 22:20 (414 days ago) @ Catoosa

Jeff Cooper swore by them, they had to be great, right? Then the all lead versions. I loaded thousands more on my Dillons... still shooting them up.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Looks good!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 08:08 (415 days ago) @ JimT

Impressive in both accuracy and power. I am a fan of trunicated bullets. They generally feed as well as round noses and have a nice meplat.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Yes. I prefer them over hollowpoints. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 11:03 (415 days ago) @ Slow Hand

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Stout....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 12:10 (414 days ago) @ JimT

I would say YES, that is truckin with a 230 gr in the 45, how did the primers look??? Good shooting with a 45 and heavy loads.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

Primers look normal .... But that does not always mean much.

by JimT, Texas, Wednesday, August 02, 2023, 12:50 (414 days ago) @ Gunner

Look at the primers in a cartridge that has blown a cylinder wide open and maybe the top strap off a revolver. More often than not they look normal.

I was more concerned about the case being partially unsupported at the feed ramp. I have seen cases blown down through the magazine well. Makes the magazines come out of the gun really fast! :-)

But there is no swelling of the fired cases. The heavy load is a standard load in some loading manuals I have.

Here's a normal 9mm compared to an overloaded one ... it did not blow but came close.

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

by Jared, Thursday, August 03, 2023, 11:04 (414 days ago) @ JimT

The Lee 230gr TC mold was my first 45 ACP mold. I have a 6 cavity now. It is a great shooting bullet in most 45s. Blue dot is a very under appreciated powder.

Looks good! I run two Lee six cavity moulds - doesn't ....

by JohnKDM, Friday, August 04, 2023, 18:52 (412 days ago) @ JimT

take long to empty a pot. I shoot a lot of them, with the only issue being the lube smoke at night.. reflects the light from my surefire and all I can see is a white curtain.

What lube did you use?

RSS Feed of thread