Shot myself in the thumb

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, July 20, 2023, 10:43 (428 days ago)

with my staple gun as I was putting up targets. A staple got stuck half way out and I was trying to pull it free. As I was doing so I violated a safety rule and pulled the trigger, thinking it might free the jammed staple. Which it did, but also fired the next staple into my thumb. Hence the blood on the target.

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Shot myself in the thumb

by Gunner @, St Louis, Thursday, July 20, 2023, 12:27 (428 days ago) @ JimT

Yep, been there, done that, though I went ALL in and caught the edge of my thumb and stapled it to the target frame. To this day I am very cautious when using the Arrow stapler.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

OUCH!

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, July 20, 2023, 12:57 (428 days ago) @ Gunner

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Shot myself in the thumb

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Thursday, July 20, 2023, 12:35 (428 days ago) @ JimT

Ouch!

That will be sore.

by JohnKDM, Thursday, July 20, 2023, 17:59 (427 days ago) @ JimT

Here's a pic from building a target frame with a pneumatic nail gun. The nail curved and went completely through the middle knuckle of my off hand, which was supporting the cross member. Pulled my finger off the nail and was surprised at the clear fluid followed by a bit of blood.

Sore and stiff as a fence post for days.

[image]

makes my hand ache to look at it ... (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Thursday, July 20, 2023, 18:18 (427 days ago) @ JohnKDM

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Did it in college

by A K Church, Friday, July 21, 2023, 04:56 (427 days ago) @ JimT

with the genuinely classic black Swingline office stapler. Not near as powerful as a gun, and much smaller staples. Hurt bad. Yours must have been much worse.

My grandson was with me and learned some new words ......

by JimT, Texas, Friday, July 21, 2023, 06:51 (427 days ago) @ A K Church

which his parents would not approve of ....

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

My grandson was with me and learned some new words ......

by A K Church, Sunday, July 23, 2023, 07:09 (425 days ago) @ JimT

If he's in school past maybe 3rd grade, likely he's heard 'em already.

Home School ... 9 years of age ...

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, July 23, 2023, 08:21 (425 days ago) @ A K Church

and I am sure he has heard some. He's been around me much of his life ....

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Izzat one of those formerly common Stevens/Springfield

by A K Church, Monday, July 24, 2023, 11:45 (424 days ago) @ JimT

singleshots, which I think they called the Model 120 in some instances?

They have a 1 piece barrel/receiver, a manually cocking bolt, stepladder rear sight, and wood which is usually plainer the a Puritan's coat, but can also range into ugly.

They're little light handy guns, but proportions were kinda blocky to the eye./

First new gun I ever owned. It was store-branded for Otasco in my case. I grew tired of it, and loaned it to my cousin while in my 20s. He kept it on a houseboat, and to reduced rust, it was given a flat black coat of runny Krylon. I got it back, later.

When Melony and I were a couple (02-04) I had it professionally cut down like the one in the photo for her oldest boy, who would be 28 or 29 now. We broke up, and I have a feeling he never shot it. So goes life.

Looks more like a Winchester 67 or variant thereof... (nt)

by Paul ⌂, Monday, July 24, 2023, 12:02 (424 days ago) @ A K Church

by A K Church, Monday, July 24, 2023, 12:14 (424 days ago) @ Paul

Which I recall you have? I think you are right, Sir.

by Paul ⌂, Monday, July 24, 2023, 13:14 (424 days ago) @ A K Church

A couple, including one shortened in a similar manner to the one above, but fitted with a side mount scope by Rich Hoch. IIRC it's currently wearing a Mossberg 4X, but don't hold me to that. It IS a Mossberg mount - again IIRC...

Model 67 Winchester

by JimT, Texas, Monday, July 24, 2023, 12:19 (424 days ago) @ A K Church

It had a 4 or 5 foot long barrel ... I cut it to 16.5 inches and shortened the stock and forend so the grandson's could handle it. They are just now growing into it.

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Before
[image]

After
[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Sawed off like that...

by Paul ⌂, Monday, July 24, 2023, 13:16 (424 days ago) @ JimT

they make a great floorboard rifle. I used to carry ours on the back floorboards of the sedan we were driving at the time. A few shells in a shirt pocket and one could easily grab the rifle and safely maneuver it for a shot out the driver's side window at varmints along the ditch bank and such.

Yessir. Pretty handy for a lot of uses. (nt)

by JimT, Texas, Monday, July 24, 2023, 14:34 (424 days ago) @ Paul

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Stevens/Springfield .22 single shot

by Catoosa, Monday, July 24, 2023, 20:47 (423 days ago) @ A K Church

Wife's mother had one of those that sat behind her kitchen door. A solid, reliable little gun, even if not much to look at. She could shoot it, too. After she passed, I decided to clean the crud off of it and see what I could do to make it look better. Stripped and stained the stock with walnut hull juice and finished with a couple coats of BLO. Reshaped the trigger and the trigger guard and inletted the guard into the stock (it was originally just screwed on and looked like crap). Added sling swivels and a nice leather sling. Dredged up a Springfield brand 4X .22 scope from my junk box and mounted it on the receiver dovetail. Zeroed it with Winchester LR hollow points, which that rifle seems to particularly like.

I'm right proud of the way the project turned out, and now the little rifle occupies a cubbyhole in the back of the house just in case something needs taking care of in the back yard.

They are from back in the day when ...

by JimT, Texas, Tuesday, July 25, 2023, 06:46 (423 days ago) @ Catoosa

even the "cheap" guns were made well. A photo would be nice. :-)

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I have been party to two range related "staple" accidents.

by cas, Saturday, July 22, 2023, 15:40 (426 days ago) @ JimT

Two more serious ones anyway. Both USPSA related, setting up or building stages. Somehow a friend sunk a 1/2" long staple completely flush into his finger. Never did figure than one out, how he managed to pull that off. On the morning setup of a big match that did not go well for him from that point on.

The other wasn't really a staple, but a couple inch long brad. Building an elaborately decorated stage for a large match. (same match, different year) Fired from a paslode brad gun, a friend put it all the way side to side through his thumb. Though it happened a few days before it, the match did not go well for him either as you can imagine.

SUFFERING FOR YOUR ART...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, July 23, 2023, 17:30 (425 days ago) @ JimT

hate it when I do stuff like that.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread