I was able to get on the Range yesterday and today!

by JimT, Texas, Friday, July 07, 2023, 19:43 (440 days ago)

Had the chores done early and got to the Range while it was still fairly cool. Shot for over an hour each day. Been concentrating on the .22 rimfires .. the Savage rifle and the Ruger Single Six. Having fun with them. Shot both paper targets and clay pigeons .. doing both accuracy practice and point-shooting. Fun stuff!

[image]

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Good for you! It seems most of my shooting lately has been

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 07:56 (440 days ago) @ JimT

with the rimfires OR PCP airgun. It isn't really about cost or availability of ammo but just fun. It also keeps me moving correctly.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by JT, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 09:00 (440 days ago) @ JimT

.22s IS GOOD CONCENTRATION!

by Catoosa, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 10:17 (440 days ago) @ JT

A few weeks ago, mostly on a whim, I bought a Smith & Wesson Model 43c .22 revolver. This is an 8-shot, 2 inch barreled extremely lightweight pocket or belly gun with a concealed hammer, double action only. It's got a very "stagey" trigger with a pronounced stop just before dropping the hammer. I have found the darned little thing to be astonishingly accurate for what it is. Seems to hit just about anything I shoot it at from any reasonable distance. It spends a lot of time in my pocket now, and after several years of neglecting my .22s, my usage rate of .22 ammo has gone WAY up.

Forgot how much fun .22s can be.

I have shot those and they are pretty nice! (nm)

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 10:51 (440 days ago) @ Catoosa

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Favorite plinkers..

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 10:57 (440 days ago) @ JimT

When I was about 15, I traded into an H&R 949 which shot exactly to the sights. With a steady hold (easier in those days) it would keep all nine on an empty paper 22 cartridge box at 20 paces.

I missed the old H&R over the years, so when this 649 popped up I grabbed it. It shot high and I've been working the rear sight down a little at a time. I'm just about there and this is six SuperX 22 HP from the LR cylinder at 50 yards. Amazingly, the WMR cylinder prints to the same POI using 40 grain WW JHP.

[image]

These are kind of ridiculous DA revolvers, with their plow handle grip and side-gate loading. But they shoot OK and bring back a lot of happy memories.

HAPPY MEMORIES ARE GOOD! (nm)

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 11:33 (440 days ago) @ Sarge

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Favorite plinkers..

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Saturday, July 08, 2023, 15:40 (439 days ago) @ Sarge

Killed a few groundhogs with one of those.

Harrington and Richardson's Model 929

by A K Church, Sunday, July 09, 2023, 06:55 (439 days ago) @ Creeker

a mildly more refined cousin of the rod ejector jobs.

This was what Mark, my best friend in high school had. A 4" with some yellowish-brownish-greenish marbleized plastic factory grips. I've only rarely seen those grips since.

In the mid 70s, it was still somewhat common for folks to slaughter their own steers come late fall. I'm told folks now mostly hire folks to kill and dress them...but in 1975 or so, his family was still DIY.

The little H&R, loaded with Montgomery Wards house label hi-speed shorts, was fired into the bovine's noggin from a range of a little over a foot. They might stay upright a few seconds, but most fell immediately. None, best I could tell, were still alive when they hit the ground.

Like a lot of H&R's revolvers, they were mechanically not much much more complex than a Zippo lighter. But a t-total pain to detail strip and reassemble. So they often were not fully cleaned or otherwise maintained, and malfunction when found.

Mark and I went off to college in 1977, and fell out of touch. He fell into bad ways, did some white collar crime, got mowed down by the IRS after the crimes, and died of heart disease before he was 43. Sad, but to me he is still my best friend in my mid-teens, when friendships are more intense than they will ever be again. I miss him.

More than likely that revolver went away for a pittance at his 1990ish tax auction.

If someone in his family still had that revolver, and offered it to me for $1000, I'd buy it.

by BobM, Ohio, Monday, July 10, 2023, 11:10 (438 days ago) @ Catoosa

I bought a used one back in January. My daughter shot it well enough I bought her a new one for her birthday a couple months ago.

RSS Feed of thread