Ruger Old Army

by A K Church, Monday, June 26, 2023, 16:04 (451 days ago)

Amigo-person in The Sooner State has

Used, pretty decent blued old Army. As happened to me once, he ended up with one where a nipple was rusted in place. The hex shoulder has been rounded off. Probably someone forgot to clean between the nipples and inside cylinder threads, until too late. And over applied a nipple wrench.

He's bore the nipple out, and now it's thin tube of metal left in the cylinder. He's leaving the rest for a gunsmith or machinist.

So, faced with that problem, how would you deal with it?

When I had that problem in the oughts, I sold the Ruger cheaply to Mike Cumpston.

Ruger Old Army

by JT, Monday, June 26, 2023, 19:30 (451 days ago) @ A K Church

I have been faced with that problem and simply soaked the cylinder/nipple in KROIL. Some took three days to loosen up.

Ruger Old Army

by E Sisk, Tuesday, June 27, 2023, 14:16 (451 days ago) @ A K Church

If JT's Kroil or Sea Foam Deep Creep and an 'easy out' does not work. I think ROA nipple threads are 12x28. Drill with #15 drill bit .1800 in. Then tap with 12x28 tap. Go gently with drill bits, 'easy outs' and taps, they are hardened tool steal and will multiply minutes to hours if broken off in a hole. 50/50 ATF and STP is better than any over the counter tapping fluid. Good luck

RSS Feed of thread