Attn: Paul or anyone else for that matter...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, June 23, 2023, 14:31 (455 days ago)

We talked a week or so back about an old Daisy BB gun I found stashed up at our place. I pulled it out and cleaned the big rust off, chased a critter or two out of it and tried it out. The cocking spring is still strong and it still pushes BB's out the end. I haven't shot it other than to see if it works.

A bit of Google-foo shows it to be a Daisy No. 108 Model 39 Carbine, second variation, ca. 1939-1942. Some folks say it was the forerunner to the Red Ryder.

I haven't found anything to tell me how to run it yet. It seems that one has to cock the lever, turn the rifle upside down to get a BB in the chamber (maybe?) and then close the lever. I ended up inadvertently dry firing it while I was fooling with it and I'd like to avoid that as much as possible (from what I've read).

[image]

Attn: Paul or anyone else for that matter...

by Paul ⌂, Sunday, June 25, 2023, 19:43 (452 days ago) @ Hoot

Sweet! I've only messed with a BB gun once in the recent past (relatively speaking), playing with Andy Larsson's leveraction Daisy guns in Montana last year. They're a blast! Running a classic like yours would be a hoot. Sorry I know nothing about them as to proper manual of arms. Look for any spot that says "oil" and give it the occasional drop thereof. I'd use plain ol' ATF fluid myself. Protects against rust, easy on the seals for the most part.

RSS Feed of thread