Dad went through surgery like a champ

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Sunday, June 04, 2023, 16:33 (474 days ago)

Originally scheduled for yesterday, but a major, multiple fatality, multiple injury accident in the county to the west, that you likely heard about on the news, had higher priority.

Modern anesthesia has progressed so much in the past few years that it has really surprised me, and while still a non-zero danger event is tolerated well by the elderly.

Now that he's awake, he's not so much of a happy camper, but as Chief Dan George put it: "That is the way things are."
The long haul now begins as Dad & I get to find out just what's involved in recovery and rehab from a hip replacement.

--
Esse sine metu in facie inimici tui. Sit fortis et rectus quod Deus ut amo te. Veritatem dico semper etiam si eam ducit ad mortem tuam. Tuendam inops et facere no mali.

by A K Church, Sunday, June 04, 2023, 16:50 (474 days ago) @ Miles

That is very encouraging, indeed.

Thanks for the good report. (NM)

by JimT, Texas, Sunday, June 04, 2023, 17:30 (474 days ago) @ Miles

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

Prayers for an unevenful recovery!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 04, 2023, 19:04 (473 days ago) @ Miles

Glad to hear results so far.

Prayers!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, June 04, 2023, 22:49 (473 days ago) @ Miles

For a full and speedy recovery!

Dave

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, June 06, 2023, 12:48 (472 days ago) @ Miles

That's great news. Thanks for the update!

In related matters - follow the post-op rehab instructions. That will make or break him in the long run. My mother-in-law's physical therapist told her, "You're going to hate me for a few weeks, but in the long run you'll love me." or words to that effect. Seven years later, she's doing great and keeps on with her exercises which keep her mobile despite the aches and pains that go with arthritis in other parts of her body.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 12:06 (471 days ago) @ Miles

Good to hear it. My mother in law had a hip replacement just a year or so back and it was outpatient surgery! I was floored about it but she, at 66 years old, walked out of the hospital the same day they fixed her up. Hope your dad progresses well!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Prayers for him!

by mcassill, Friday, June 09, 2023, 05:34 (469 days ago) @ Miles

My understanding from others who’ve gone through this is that the hip is actually the quickest recovery of the major joint operations; hopefully that will be his experience as well.

RSS Feed of thread