After serious cogitation on the subject...

by Paul ⌂, Friday, June 02, 2023, 20:17 (475 days ago)
edited by Paul, Friday, June 02, 2023, 20:56

I've come to the conclusion that the 38 Smith and Wesson Special is my all time favorite centerfire cartridge. I've loaded, reloaded and shot more 38 Spl than any other two cartridges combined over the years, probably more than any other three or four, for that matter. Mostly I've shot it in 4" revolvers, but shot a bit out of a 6.5" OM Blackhawk and various other firearms. It's easy on the budget with just a pinch of powder and half the lead (or less) of a heavy loaded 45 Colt. Well assembled ammo out of a decent firearm results in pleasing accuracy. Recoil is negligible (both my sons first fired a 38, way back in the 20th Century) and components are still easy to come by. No, it'd not be my first choice for hunting big game or dangerous game, but a while back I read an article that catalogued handguns that were used successfully in ending bear attacks and the lowly 38 topped the list. Go figure.

Now, I DO enjoy the 45 Colt and 44 S&W and 45 ACP (although I HATE policing brass from a bottom loader) and have reloaded quite a stack of 9mm over the years as well, but the 38 is the one I keep coming back to. The 32 SWL is another favorite, but the numbers don't stack up in comparison, nor do I own a good example of firearm in that caliber.

Sitting here in SW MO helping take care of Mom during a difficult transition period has given me the opportunity to catch up a little bit on the reloading. And yes, I've done double the 38 spl of any other caliber I've tackled so far. In a couple weeks I'll have the chance to unload some of that brass - and I'm looking forward to it.

Someday I need to replace that 6" 38 I had to leave in Brazil. In the meantime, the Model 10 HB I got from cas way back when will continue to do good service.

I have become quite fond (again) of the .38 Special ..

by JimT, Texas, Friday, June 02, 2023, 20:41 (475 days ago) @ Paul

I shot thousands of them as a teenager. I was working for my Dad who was making and patenting a bullet. He would load a thousand rounds and tell me to go shoot them and not clean the gun, but bring it to him to inspect.

One summer I shot up several hundred pounds of lead.

I got to where it was not a challenge to shoot an empty 12 ga. shotgun shell out of the air. I threw golf balls up in the air and shot them and got to where I hit more than I missed. I shot rolling tennis balls on the ground. Some months I shot 3 or 4 thousand rounds. All loaded in the 38 Special cartridges and fired in my Ruger (old model) Blackhawk. It was a great time of life.

I have returned to the .38 Special since I have gotten older and less comfortable with heavy recoiling loads.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

After serious cogitation on the subject...

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Friday, June 02, 2023, 21:23 (475 days ago) @ Paul

One of the greatest cartridges of all time. I have 2 working sixguns that chambered for the round. While I don't hunt deer & such with them they will work if push comes to shove.
[image]
[image]

You said ...

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, June 03, 2023, 09:40 (475 days ago) @ Paul

"... a while back I read an article that catalogued handguns that were used successfully in ending bear attacks and the lowly 38 topped the list. Go figure ..."

To successfully stop any kind of attack the defender has to be able to shoot well under extreme stress, in a seriously short period of time. This means the conscious mind is not directing things. It's what the person has practiced and has imprinted on the memory circuits. And the .38 Special is an easy one to use to align the memory circuits properly, so that if the time comes, the body does what is needed and does it correctly.

Or else you just trust in making a lucky shot.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

You said ...

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, June 03, 2023, 16:00 (475 days ago) @ JimT

Yep. To hear some "experts" on the 'net, anything less than a 475 Linebaugh will get you killed in a defensive scenario involving bears. So seeing how well the 38 performed in actual encounters proves the point that effective fire of an "inadequate weapon" outweighs powerful fire directed in the general direction of the threat. Still not my first choice in bear country, but it beats a loud yell and fingernails all hollow.

Whatever the caliber, a deep penetrating bullet works best

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, June 03, 2023, 17:13 (475 days ago) @ Paul

it seems. The data on the website below is 2 years old but is sorted by caliber beginning with .22 Long Rifle. Very interesting reading. 104 instances cited.

https://www.ammoland.com/2021/06/handgun-or-pistol-against-bear-attacks-104-cases-97-ef...

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

RSS Feed of thread