The Special One ...

by JimT, Texas, Saturday, May 20, 2023, 08:22 (489 days ago)

It's the one that comes out on special occasions ... gets taken along for special occasions. The barrel is 20" .. being a singleshot the overall length is just really handy!

[image]

Previously I had mounted a shell holder on the forend for more reloads.

[image]

On one special occasion I grabbed the little gun and fired a heavy load of buckshot. The recoil ripped the shell holder off the forend! So I gave up on that idea.

Some of the special occasion loads:

500 gr. wadcutter
[image]

575 gr. round ball
[image]
Cast of wheelweight and pushed by 28 gr. of Unique it runs a bit over 1400 fps from the short barrel.

--
Ele era velho.
Ele era corajoso.
Ele era feio.

I have several of those......

by RayLee, Saturday, May 20, 2023, 08:44 (489 days ago) @ JimT
edited by RayLee, Saturday, May 20, 2023, 09:10

abbreviated fowling pieces in various gauges propped up in corners with a slug, two buckshot, and two birdshot on the butt. H & R, J.C Higgins, WesternField, etc.

Thought I had fetched a 16 ga. single J.C. Higgins from Kittery T.P. but when it got to the f.f.l., it was a five shot bolt action. Poor fellow who ordered the bolt listed for $45 more than the single was no doubt disappointed

[image]

There are a few rossi/braztech.....

by RayLee, Saturday, May 20, 2023, 08:55 (489 days ago) @ RayLee
edited by RayLee, Saturday, May 20, 2023, 09:38

brasilian made ones as well. Spent a small fortune on rifled chamber adapters in various flavours from 3 inch to 2 feet in length only to determine that they really won't do anything at 40 paces that a high-brass #4 does better. But they are good to have I guess from survival scenario point of view.

[image]

egregiously blurry 18" 30-30 insert in 20 ga. rossi.

When I worked for the gunsmith......

by A K Church, Sunday, May 21, 2023, 05:37 (488 days ago) @ JimT

NEF was still doing the barrel installation deal. Early oughts. They took for freaking ever, but they did good work pretty cheaply.

So I sent my new 12G WalMart NEF Pardner back to them for the installation of a 30" full choke barrel. Got it back, pulled the barrel, and proceeded to cut it (under gunsmith supervision) on a lathe back to 22"-the 30" barrel was pretty thick walled at the 22" mark, and that's why I chose it. Threaded it for Remington insert chokes, installed an unknown make poison green fluorescent front sight bar, and installed swivels and an M16 sling.

That was a GREAT setup. So of course I let it go. But if I lived in some place like Australia, where a gun "licence" is hard to get, and I wanted a gun of huge versatility, that might be it.

by RayLee, Tuesday, May 23, 2023, 19:42 (485 days ago) @ A K Church

I have an incredibly light j.c. higgins 12 gauge (stevens 94?) with a nearly 3 foot barrel that needs abbreviating but I am told it is a rarity once advertised as a "sears goose gun"

I vaguely remember, nigh-on two decades ago, chatting in the gloom of mister richardson's rock garden with a teddy savalas looking gentleman surnamed weiss or weinstein or weintraub and a given name of leonard or leroy or lester. The discussion was savage 24s and 20 and 12 gauge chamber inserts as a way of having an over/under double .22 hornet or 30-30.

Do Stevens 94s have collector value? ....

by A K Church, Wednesday, May 24, 2023, 10:42 (485 days ago) @ RayLee

Not that long ago, there were half a dozen at least in my circle of friends and acquaintances. They were all working guns. Included one 20G 2 3/4" chamber Tenite number, still toiling away near 70 years after it was made.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, May 25, 2023, 08:21 (484 days ago) @ A K Church

Is that the one I have? Honestly it doesn’t get shot much but not has ridden many a mile in the old F150! It’s set up still in the antenna bag with a big selection of birdshot, Buck and slugs. As well as a chamber adapter for .45 acp and a selection of those rounds and a dowel for ejection duties.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

This gun has been around...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, May 26, 2023, 21:08 (482 days ago) @ JimT
edited by Hobie, Friday, May 26, 2023, 21:14

... great minds think alike...

Mine was a H&R Topper....

[image]

It has killed grouse, quail, dove, crow, starlings, squirrels and even a groundhog.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread